Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #1 
sekaeo

Po isn't acting himself! (pic)

Hey guys!

So I got my betta a new 2.5 gallon tank a while ago (it came on Monday). Before he was in an unheated 1 gallon (which stayed at about 72 degrees - I kept the heat on in my room). He was quite active in that tank, always swimming around. So I put him in his new tank, which has a heater! The temperature when I first put him in was also about 72 degrees, and it gradually warmed up as the heater kicked in, and now it is at about 80.

I had to take the filter out because it was too strong for little Po, and I was worried about him. So on Tuesday and Wednesday he seemed to be doing his normal thing, swimming around quite a bit. But today... he isn't doing ANYTHING. He is just sitting at the top of his tank, not even moving his little fins. In his 1 gallon, he made a bubble nest pretty quickly after I'd change his water, and he hasn't made one in his new tank yet! Also, the ammonia is testing at 0, so I don't think that's it...

I'm SO worried and I don't know what to do! This is what he is doing ALL the time (sorry for the grey-ness... camera doesn't like shooting through the tank. The tank isn't murky, it is just my camera)

sekaeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and make a 50% water change today and tomorrow and see if this will perk him up.....leave him in the tank and make water only changes-be sure to use a little extra dechlorinator with the fresh water of like temp.....

Since you removed the filter and that fine IMO-I would get on a regular schedule of 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes on the 2.5gal unfiltered tank

Keep us posted..........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #3 
sekaeo

I did the water change as you suggested :)

In his 1 gallon tank whenever he would catch his reflection, he would flare and wiggle like CRAZY. Just to see, I put a mirror up against his tank and he flared a bit and then just kind of swam off.

I'm so worried! He's also started to sit near the bottom and not move.

Could he NOT be liking the higher temp??
Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

He went from 72F to 80F correct?...hard to say...but it wouldn't hurt to try lowering the temp to about 76-78F and see if that makes a difference......I generally keep all of mine in the 76F range unless I am spawning or fry under 2months of age.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #5 
Abby

I dont know, but i do know that some bettas prefer a smaller area, ie: Nero was in a 2 gal kritter Keeper and was mopy for a week when i moved him into the bigger tank (at first he was beside another fish he wasnt looking good and then he was moved to another bay where the only male was on an angle to him and he perked up then after a week i put him back in his original bay and hes happier)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #6 
sekaeo

Well, he seems to be moving around more today, weaving back and forth in front of the glass like a madman! I guess that's good, right? He is still hanging a bit, but definitely waaaay more movement today. So I'm probably just a paranoid new mum!