Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 
Ariel1719

10Gal Journal.

Okay so i figured id start this journal to show my progress with everything. I will update as i continue until it is finished! It is very much bare right now and is at the beginning of the cycle. I dont even have the test kit yet or the heater/thermometer (will be getting those today hopefully)

So yesterday setting THIS much up took almost 3 hours haha, im very slow and take my time. I cleaned my tank which had been sitting in the basement for half a year and i rinsed all my gravel and bought some more gravel. Then I realized that I didnt like that colour so i went and bought all white instead! I rinsed the drift wood in boiling water for an hour and washed all the plants. I took some of the water from my 2.5 gal and a filter cartridge and put it in the filter of this tank. I used one of my temp 3gals for bringing the water up and down the stairs filled it up, started the filter and added water conditioner and some fish food to start the fish less cycle. Today i hope to go to my LFS and pick up the water testing kit, heater, thermometer, more plants and maybe some more deco. I will not be adding any fish until it is done the cycle which wont be for a while im guessing! I also dont know if im going to be doing a community + male betta or a sorority. Im gunna wait to see which betta/betta's i fall in love with :)

Here is the first pic of the start.

1 piece drift wood, 4 plants, one skull. Hoping to add 1 more deco, 3-6 new plants.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #2 
Goomba3

Awesome looking! Some people don't like skulls, but I think they are cool. Can't wait to see what fish you decide on.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #3 
TelevisionBox

This is very cool. I am hoping to do the same as you when I get my 10 gallon tank up and running. I can't wait to see what you chose for your fish choices. :) I'll be waiting for your next post :)!
TelevisionBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #4 
turtle10

Who drew your avatar, ariel? It is so good!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #5 
Ariel1719

Thanks guys! And I have no idea who drew it, it was a while back..in the summer at some time or spring of last year!

Well some updates. I did my water testing just now and these are my readings.

NO3=0
NO2=0
PH=6.0
KH=4.0
GH=7.5
AMMONIA=0.2

Im going to read how to get my Ammonia down, im thankful its only up a little bit, so it shouldn't be to hard to take it down 2 notches. I went to Big al's yesterday and got my heater, thermometer and 7 plants but only 5 new ones fit haha. I was contemplating buying another smaller piece of drift wood for the other side, but i didn't end up buying it and Im kind of glad i didn't because I feel like it wouldn't fit..

Updated pic:

Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #6 
Goomba3

Oooh! I like it! I wish I could design tanks as well as this. Can't wait to see what fish you decide to put in it!
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 
Ariel1719

Thanks!! :) I like the natural look for my tanks haha. If you cant tell lol.

Just an updated pic. Not much happened in a day haha just added some rocks :)

Oh and here is Gooses tank. 2.5 mini bowl :) Same natural look

Old 03-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #8 
Ariel1719

Another update. A very unfortunate one actually..

I had everything nice and ready so I went and got my betta, Skrillex for the tank. You can see that thread here
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64985

He had such spunk, was a cute little young guy.

Then he went missing, which can be found here.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65076

And within there i found him dead. Now my tank has 5 Rasbora's and two zebra snails and no betta. A very sad update on what was going to be so great. The betta will come in time.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #9 
Cravenne

I read your other post. Very sorry :(
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #10 
Ariel1719

Well i figure id post pics. The first is with Skrillex in the tank before his passing and the second is what it looks like now, with 5 rasbora's and two zebra snails. On tues im going to add 5/6 tetra's. And the last is my puppy, Joey, checkin out skrillex.