Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

He's at it AGAIN!

Ugh I thought this was over with! I guess not! Riley just either chewed a huge chunk out of his tail or has fin rot. Now I have a sponge under my filter (Uhm,I do not have the correct word for it but its the part that sucks up water xD). But I'm kinda thinking he has started biting again but in-case I started fin rot treatment. If he is back to chewing I don't know whats wrong. I do weekly water changes. (Only about 25%) and Full (I do leave some water in but take most of it out) every 2-3 weeks) and He's in a 5 gallon and loves it. He does have what I think is Lymphocystis. I could only find a few articles on this disease. . . so I was wondering if it causes alot of discomfort which could lead to tail biting?
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

You Only change 25% a week in a 5? You need more than that unless its cycled.
What makes you think he was that disease? Like, that one instead of others?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
You Only change 25% a week in a 5? You need more than that unless its cycled.
What makes you think he was that disease? Like, that one instead of others?
Agree - I do TWO 50% (or more) a week on my 5 gallon tanks and they're cycled!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Hi! My fish had Lymphocystis, and it did not resemble fin rot, it more looked like a couple white bumps on the body. It didn't even mess with his fins at all (although I think it can get on the fins), and with frequent water changes and some good food it went away :)

So if his fins are the only thing that's messed up and there are no cauliflower-looking growths or white bumps, then it's probably not Lympho.

Oh, and my fish doesn't seem like he's in pain or discomfort when he gets a bump or two, just less active... He hasn't got one in a long time though.

Last edited by TaylorW; 03-07-2011 at 05:00 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Btw- tail bitiing usually looks like little U's bitten out...Clean slits or clean cuts in the fin are more likley due to a plant or decoration hurting him.

Some fish are just derp.

Some fish are REALLY derp.

He might be a chronic tail biter, I had one and I loathed him for it DX
If you find this is a chronic problem, just make a point to keep the water clean. Even if it is fin rot, its probably from your tank not being cleaned enough (25% isnt enough- even if ammonia is low, the bottom should have the nasties sucked out!) , so just make a point to frquently change the water, you wont even need salt if the waters clean enough.

Also, if you really do suspect fin rot, put in a bubbler if you have one, but dont set it too high. It helps stave oiff bacteria.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote