Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Talking fins.... i hate them...

LOL! kidding. i adore all my babie's fins. :d i've just really grown fond of short-fin bettas recently. it started with Cup, honestly. he suddenly had a bad rip in his fin, and i couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how he did it. ever since his fins started growing REALLY long, i've been careful to avoid sharp things in his tank. i'd rip-proof EVERYTHING that went in his tank, to make sure he wouldn't destroy his beautiful fins. still, he's come up to the glass often with a new rip or tear. i eventually got used to it, passing it up to over-flaring(he used to be a flare monster, and would flare at EVERYTHING, from a speck on his tank, to the dogs barking. no lie!), and learned quickly how to deal with fin-related issues.

then, i got Dante, my beloved copper delta. i adored his fins, and hoped and prayed he wouldn't end up a biter. he was very good at first, never nipping his beautiful deep red and black fins, and i was so very proud. then, i went out with friends, and was gone from my room for a few hours. i came home, to a few bite marks. D: i was so sad! but, i was used to fin issues, and changed his water, adding a little aquarium salt, and they quickly healed back up. a few weeks later, i went out again, and came home to a horridly bitten tail on Dante. D: it was like, a child found the scissors and cut their own hair! i sighed, "Danteeeeeeee! why you biiiiiiite?" and did another water change and added salt and an IAL. now, he's slowly letting the worst of his biting heal back up, and i've found no new chomps.

those two, though i adore them both to death, have made me find my love for Plakats and Halfmoon Plakats, and females. while i adore both Veiltails and Halfmoons, i don't want to deal with the fin issues they have. x-X i'm trying to avoid buying either, but i know, i'll find one i have to have in either tail type! xD the ever-elusive Orange Dalmatian Veiltail will make me want a VT. xD

right now, SOMEHOW, Cup destroyed his tail. this was no over-flaring or biting. he RIPPED it to shreds on something. it literally looks like it went through a paper shredder! i removed all his plants, except one i KNOW isn't what he ripped it on, and am gonna add some salt to it, to keep things cleaner. i really wish i had some IAL to add, but i'm all out, and we don't have oak trees here, and i can't buy any decaf green tea(since no one here drinks green tea at all, my mom won't buy any, and i'm broke. Dx). my poor baby. D: i wonder if it hurts him any? D: he's still the flare-monster he used to be(he mellowed out alot after a mild outbreak of ick), and is still willing to show it off(is he PROUD of his CT-looking tail? LOL), so it can't be that bad. x-X

Thanks, Cup and Dante, for driving me away from the fins. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

Aww, i'm sorry you are having trouble with their fins!
Is there away for you to collect mosquito larvae and feed them to your bettas?
They are supposed to be very healthy for them so it would probably help their health improve with their fins being torn/bitten.
:)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #3 
Alex09

Feel the same here. No more long finned bettas for me
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #4 
Luimeril

nope. our stupid landlord sprays EVERYTHING. :/ i saw him spraypaint an ant hill once! Dx even if i could find some, i'd not feed them to my fish. who knows what's on them? x-X i usually just add aquarium salt to help things stay clean, and add IAL, which i'm out of. i'm SO glad Cup's not a tail biter like Dante. x-X
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote