Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #1 
MelKurtonic

My Bettas make me feel so bad!!

I can't stand days where I have to fast them :( I know I have to but they like jedi mind trick me into guilt trip mode they follow my every movement and just stare at me all day wondering where their food is.... it's so heart breaking that sometimes I just want to give in but I don't... it's like the goldfish begging for food every time I enter the kitchen... they tug on those heart strings!
MelKurtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I don't personally fast my fish weekly. I only fast them when the start showing a bit of belly. It's not really necessary unless they get a bit bloated. Also, some of them never get bloated, and it doesn't make sense to fast them.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #3 
MelKurtonic

I gave them a couple bloodworms to munch on
Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #4 
RiverStoneBetta

I usually fast once a week. Bloodworms are a large part of my boy's diet, so I play the fasting card as a safety net. I'm sure the pellets I give provide enough fiber for them to pass everything, since some weeks I do cave in and feed them. I've never had any food related problems with Quinn or Boba though.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #5 
MelKurtonic

I'm afraid to underfeed them as much as I'm afraid to over feed them I mean the eat hikari micro wafers and blood worms
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #6 
Luimeril

that's why Lulu got fat. >3> cause i'd give in every time she'd wiggle at me and feed her extras.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #7 
bettamaniac

bettas are better at begging than any other animal. thats why some of the misinformed people who only feed them only a few times a week look at their betta, the betta looks like he is hungry, they feel sorry for it, and feed him a little more and go overboard with it.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #8 
MelKurtonic

they each got 3 blood worms today but no wafers usually I'd give them 5 micro wafers (they're like less than 1/4 the size of the betta pellets but they won't eat the betta pellets) and 1-2 blood worms a day 6 days a week this week I caved on the fasting. I know fasting is good for them it's more painful for me than them really lol the just give me that look! The goldies are pretty good at begging too they all know when it's time to eat and even after that they try to get more out of me
Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #9 
Pekemom

I don't have the heart to fast Brooke. I want to eat every day so I figure she does, too. I'm just very very careful not to overfeed. Hope my hubby follows the rules while I'm away for nine days next week!! I DO NOT want to come home to a bloated betta!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #10 
turtle10

@melkurtonic

Do the micro wafers float or sink? I saw those at petco today and almost bought them.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote