Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #11 
peachesxo

That is a male...
For sure..

And it looks like he was sick already when you got him from that picture there, which means he's been sick a long time. His color has obviously faded alot too.. You are definatly going to need to start the treatment.. i would also reccomend getting a bigger, filtered, and heated tank.. That marina betta kit there really isn't sufficient, it was my first 'betta tank' too, for about 3 days until i realized how evil it was.. (and joined this forum)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #12 
turtle10

That is definitely a male, although his fins are very messed up and short they are still too long to be a female IMO.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #13 
TelevisionBox

@peachesxo - Well then, :S Isn't this confusing. I was pretty sure he, was a she. But, I guess not. He was very lively when I got him, always swimmed, and showed off his fins. It all went sort of down hill on Feb 22nd...

The tank does have a mini heater however. :) I am currently working on a 10 gallon tank however.

Any other suggestions of how to treat, rather then just aquarium salt?

@turtle10 - I was for sure that he, was a she. He shall be named Mister Bubbles, from now on.
TelevisionBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

Does it have a small white spot under its face?

And AQ salt is your best bet, with clean water. I wouldnt go messing with medicines, especially in such a small tank.

He/she will heal really well with good water and that pinch of salt, trust me. It will take a bit, but its better than over treating your fish for something it might not have. Considering how sick it is already, more or heavy medicines will hurt it more than help, imo..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Derp. Just saw that other pic... Thats a serious color and fin change. WOW. That's no good. Def. keep things simple medicine wise... D:

And yeah, thats a male. And a nice one, too. Get him cleaned up nice and show off how handsome he is~
Old 03-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #16 
TelevisionBox

@PewPewPew - Not sure what you ment by white dot. But, yes his stomach is white, and he does have a white dot, after his pelvic/ventral fin.

Aquarium salt it is! I picked some up the other day, luckily I did, phew.

Yeah, definately, a huge difference!! He actually got shipped from Thailand (or so the pet store said, the 20$ price tag definately said so). I love Christmas presents from my boyfriend. :) I'll be sure to treat him right with a bigger aquarium, and lots of loving. But, not over feeding fish loving. :)

btw, what the heck does "imo" mean.

Last edited by TelevisionBox; 03-07-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

Egg spot: http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/...vipositor1.jpg

But Im 80-90% sure thats a male....

And yay! Its 1tsp/gal. Once you put it in, wait a day and then do a water change (100%), then add more salt. Make sure its dissolved before hand, as it hurts when not. It helps heal open wounds, etc.

I think it can go more intense, but before upping the dosage, Id talk to oldfishlady about the situation.

Btw- is the heater removable? If so, you might wanna consider going out and buying a cheap rubbermaid (clear) container from the store and using that as a temp tank. You could get like 2+ gallons for $5! :D That can allow your friend to be more comfortable while he heals. If you do, dont skimp on the brand... Some will leach, but rubbermaid is generally a good way to do it.

To cover it, simply put plastic wrap over the top with holes in it :D
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #18 
peachesxo

imo = "in my opinion"
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #19 
TelevisionBox

He does have one of those egg spots... you can sort of see it in the second photo i posted. Maybe, I have one of those rare hermaphrodite fishies. lol. Everyone is confusing me about the gender of this fish!

Yes the heater is removeable. I never though about buying a larger temp tank for now.. forgot hw cheap tupperware can be... haha. I'll have to look my cupboard... I might have something currently.

Much thanks again ;)

@peachesxo - Thanks for claifying what that means :)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #20 
PewPewPew

Make sure, very very sure, that it is a quality brand. Also, make sure that it is clean, and that no soap has ever been in it, nor harmful chemicals, inks, etc.

Practically boil that sucker.

Basically, if you wouldnt drink from it (before the fish!lol), dont use it.

And idk...its a hard one. Put a pic of him healthy in the photo thread, then one of the spot. Ask them!