Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Exclamation Is this a parasite i'm majorly freaking out!!!!!!

First of all there's noting in the tank but plants and a few snails that came on some of the plants I ordered a while ago.

Here's a picture I drew of it since I couldn't get an actual picture or video to show the thing:

That first picture is what it looks like from the side when it moves. It moves like an inchworm.
The upper right hand picture is what it looks like spread out.
The lower picture is what I think it would look like from the top while it's inching along the glass.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! 8[ I don't know if there are any more in the tank or not. 8[

To all those I'm friends with on here I LOVE EVERY ONE OF YOU!!!! <3 I'm sorry I haven't been on much lately but I've been so busy I barely have any free time. The Green fee I'm attempting to establish at my school is taking up ALL of my free time. ALL OF IT. It's worth it but I hate that I can't lounge on her like I used to. :[ I love all of you and when I get my tank set up I'll post pics. (literally setting it up in the morning as set-up didn't get to happen today.)

Oh and I've had my plants in just plain dechlorinated water for forever and I still have the majority of what I ordered! =] a lot of it is growing too so I don't NEED MTS anymore! =] (though I still really want some just in case. working on ordering those... And just today I discovered pond snails!!! :D SNAILS!!!! <3 Not the kind I was expecting and planning for but I'm so happy that there's life in my tank! <3

Unfortunately this unknown creature instantly crashed my snail-happy with dread. :[

Can someone tell me what it is, if it's a parasite, if I need to kill it? I'd love you forever! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

anyone? :[ I have NO knowledge of parasites beyond their symptoms! :[

I need to know as soon as physically possible as my parents are coming to town on Saturday and the tank NEEDS to be set up by then. :[

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 03-03-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Well I really need to sleep as I haven't slept well the past two weeks and my parents are coming to town. If anyone can help me then I'd be really appreciative.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

poke it with a stick until dead

then maybe facepalm a little
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #5 
Goomba3

I have no idea, I am no expert on parasites. I'm sorry! :(
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Where in the tank is it...on the glass, swimming, top or bottom.....to understand....it attached to the snail and killed it.....confused......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

Yea if it's on the glass, it's planaria or something...just look up aquarium bug's..half of them are harmless.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh whoops my post was pretty vague I'm sorry.

The only other inhabitants in my tank are some pond snails that were born from eggs that were apparently attached to my plants.

I found it on the glass inching along like an inch worm. the upper right hand sketch is what it looked like when I saw it. And the other photos are what it looks like from different angles when it inches along the glass.

It wasn't attached to a snail at the time or attacking anything that I saw but I turned away to draw and post about it and when I looked again I couldn't find it.

I have no idea where it is and no idea if it's harmful or not! 8[

It might be planaria? Googling now....

^^^ Edit They're Most Likely Planaria

Just googled and some entries say they swim while others say they crawl.

Some entries say they are parasitic and some say they aren't. what's what? 8[

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 03-04-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

If it planaria-they are harmless, however, when you have lots of them...it can be a sign that the tank needs a good cleaning/vacuuming....a few in the tank especially with live plants are normal and expected...nothing to worry about...look and see if you can tell if it is segmented or not...it also could be a leech...not to freak you out or anything....you have a lot of critters in your tank that you don't even know about...not to creep you out or anything.....it just happens with containers of water with life in them...most are harmless when the numbers are kept under control and some can even be a sign of a healthy tank...its alive......lol.....is this a soil based planted tank?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #10 
bettamaniac

the only thing planaria will do is eat uneaten fish food and other things. if it twists when it moves its a planarian.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parasite, snails, unknown invertabrate