Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #1 
peachesxo

Need filter help!! Penguin Bio Wheel Model 100

Hi everyone.
So I just went and got another 10 gallon (same as my other one) that comes with the Penguin Bio Wheel (model 100) and now that i have two going i can see THEY ARE FUNCTIONING VERY DIFFERENTLY
the new ones water level (inside the filter) is low when going thru the process/wheel ect but the one i've had sumo in for awhile now has a super high water level to the point where some of it is spilling off from the filter section to the wheel section.
I didn't know something was wrong before because i didnt have another to compare it to, but i think something is wrong with the filter in the older tank.

is anyone farmilliar with this filter? where's your water level in it at when it's doing its thing?

why is one level so low and the other so high!! what can i do to fix it, argh!
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Someone??
Should i change the filter?? (i dont think it'll mess the cycle because there is still bacteria on the wheel, gravel, everywhere else...)

WHAT DO I DO AAAH lol
Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #3 
peachesxo

really nobody even knows if it's normal or not for the water in the filter to come up so high its kind of spilling over to the other section and is actually right at the rim of where it could spill OUT of the tank - while i have the exact same filter running in another tank with like over an inch of space before it comes to the rim!!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

very familiar

Fresh new bio-wheels are un-wetted and spin really fast. As the wheel wets it will start sustaining a water weight and spin more slowly causing some back pressure into the system. Run them both without the filter cartridge and compare the heights of the water. If there's only a mild difference then nothing is wrong.

It will take anywhere from five to thirty hours for the new one to "wet up". Once it does it will begin growing the bacteria, until then go sparingly on feeding in the tank and watch the ammonia and nitrite levels.

There is some variation in the manufacture of the field motor used for the impeller which can result in two pumps of the same manufacture running up to fifteen gallons per hour different. If the filter cartridge were manufactured with differing density of material it can make a difference as well.

Flipping the bio-wheel end for end in its bearings sometimes helps wetting along.

To ensure that it spills over into the tank you can stick a few nickels inside a bottle cap and then put that between the little stand-off at the bottom and the tank wall. Since I use emperor 280s on some of my 10 gallon tanks I end up using a whole small cutting board to enhance the angle and spread weight.

Water height in tank also affects performance of these filters.

If you're only housing one or two betta in a ten gallon, even the wheel just barely turning will be enough bio function.

Be sure to follow cycling instructions you CAN also swap the wheels back and forth between the tanks to deal with ammonia and nitrite but this is a risk of cross contamination and handling the wheels can add contamination. Bio-wheels can be allowed to dry out if they're not exposed to bright light, ozone, sterilizers or large changes in pH they will sleep for weeks without loss of function. So don't panic if one stops on you, just take it out and swish it around in the tank for a bit, run wet q-tips through the bearings then spin it with a finger in the bearings. "wheeeeee" it will splash.

Marineland has a 1-800 number btw.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 03-04-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #5 
peachesxo

So the fact that the older one is at the very top of its water level is normal? And the other is just so low because it's new?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #6 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
So the fact that the older one is at the very top of its water level is normal? And the other is just so low because it's new?
It could be differences in the density of the filter media, the wheel causing back pressure, even someone at the factory using a cheaper impeller motor coil on the new one.

As long as the wheel keeps turning and you don't overload the tank, I'd not worry about it, just keep an eye on it.

Sometimes the rubber grommets on the ends of the impeller's shaft get inserted a little crooked and it can make em turn a little slower but there's no need to fidget with it.

The only real maintenance advice I have for the filters is to use scissors to trim away excess floss around the edges and at the bottom and top notches (input and spillway gaps) when you put a new media in. You're looking at about six to ten weeks maximum on the media cards if you get them at wallyworld.

I should probably get around to doing pictures of my flock of marinelands and notating them.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #7 
Slayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
Do you have a baffle in front of your filter on both?

I have that filter and the water level is not at the top I have a hex 5 with the bio filter and it and the baffle makes it over fill sometimes.
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 
JaspersANGEL

Don't have that filter. Sorry!!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #9 
phluid13

And be patient. I noticed your first three posts were within pretty close time frames. Allow some time for the right person to respond to your question. You don't want a rushed answer. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
phluid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #10 
peachesxo

<---- has no patience alot of the time. aries. sorry.

both of them are baffled.
should i just changed the filter on the old one?? i dont know anything about doing it some people say not to do it.. some people say to do it.. i dont know. the filter package says every 4-6 weeks. i have had this tank running for more than that now. can i just change the filter and see what happens?? i really do not think the filter is doing its job in the old tank...
the water level is SO HIGH that it just spills over from section to section so not all of it is actually being filtered through the media.... its just spilling over the top and going to the wheel then getting put back through into the tank

obviously some of it is being filtered.. but not all
where as the newer one is filtering ALL OF THE WATER that comes in and there is no spillage issues

sigh.