I recently bought a new tank for my Betta Azure. He's been doing so well I wanted to get him a little something. He is currently in a 1.5 gal tank and will be moving to my new 10 gal tank (quite an upgrade
) Ill be moving his house and current plants over into the new tank so it feels a bit like home.
With that said, I would like to add some other fish into the tank with him. I have read all the websites on this kind of thing and they all seem to point to Tetra's as a viable tank mate. I feel like I know a bit about Betta's now but honestly I'm clueless about other fish and I had some questions for you geniuses here.
1. Is the Betta water conditioner ok for use with tetra's in the tank? I use the conditioner to make sure the tap water is good for Azure.
2. Is it safe to add tetra's at all? The sites say yes but I want your opinions.
3. How should I introduce the tetra's to the tank (betta first, tetra's second, etc.) and how many of them should I get? I know they like to have plenty of friends, a few resources suggest 5 or so.
4. Tetra's appear to be tropical fish so the water temperature for the betta shouldn't bother them right?
5. Any advice or experience with mixing betta's with other fish and possibly different kinds would be greatly appreciated.
Oh BTW. My girlfriend loved Azure so much that she tagged along with me to a fish swap and found a betta she liked as well. A beautiful red Crowntail named Scarlet. I bought it for keeping at my place but decided to give it to her as a gift since she liked him so much. Betta's are awesome :)