Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #1 
conleyri

Exclamation New Tank Question

Hello again,

I recently bought a new tank for my Betta Azure. He's been doing so well I wanted to get him a little something. He is currently in a 1.5 gal tank and will be moving to my new 10 gal tank (quite an upgrade ) Ill be moving his house and current plants over into the new tank so it feels a bit like home.

With that said, I would like to add some other fish into the tank with him. I have read all the websites on this kind of thing and they all seem to point to Tetra's as a viable tank mate. I feel like I know a bit about Betta's now but honestly I'm clueless about other fish and I had some questions for you geniuses here.

1. Is the Betta water conditioner ok for use with tetra's in the tank? I use the conditioner to make sure the tap water is good for Azure.

2. Is it safe to add tetra's at all? The sites say yes but I want your opinions.

3. How should I introduce the tetra's to the tank (betta first, tetra's second, etc.) and how many of them should I get? I know they like to have plenty of friends, a few resources suggest 5 or so.

4. Tetra's appear to be tropical fish so the water temperature for the betta shouldn't bother them right?

5. Any advice or experience with mixing betta's with other fish and possibly different kinds would be greatly appreciated.

Oh BTW. My girlfriend loved Azure so much that she tagged along with me to a fish swap and found a betta she liked as well. A beautiful red Crowntail named Scarlet. I bought it for keeping at my place but decided to give it to her as a gift since she liked him so much. Betta's are awesome :)
conleyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #2 
Malvolti

1. Water conditioner is water conditioner, with the exception of salt water conditioner. Although i'd recomend something generic like Prime since those "specially formulated" ones are the same thing just more expensive.

2. Tetras are iffy, some are okay, some may attack the Betta. And vice versa, the betta may not like them. Some better options may be Platies, Swordtails or non-fancy Guppies.

3. In my experience, other things first then Betta. Otherwise the Betta may attack what he perceives as invaders.

4. Since every fish mentioned so far is tropical then yes they need the same basic temperature and water conditions as the Betta.

5. See #2. Most peaceful tropical fish can be okay for Bettas, it's whether the Betta will be peaceful that is the question. You can also look into snails, ghost/bee shrimp or African Dwarf Frogs. They add a different kind or activity to your tank and make it more interesting.

The main point though is to thoroughly research any species you consider adding it to your communtiy. Also never over stock.

Last edited by Malvolti; 03-07-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #3 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
1. Water conditioner is water conditioner, with the exception of salt water conditioner. Although i'd recomend something generic like Prime since those "specially formulated" ones are the same thing just more expensive.
Agree with this. Some of the "specially formulated" brands love to add in marketing terms like laced with Aloe Vera!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote