Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #1 
lilbloofish

Unhappy Sbd?

I recently noticed that my girl betta is having some trouble swimming. After watching her, i noticed that she stays at the top often and when she tries to swim to the bottom she either just floats right to the top or the back half of her body starts to go up. Also, she started to move her tail in a twitchy/irregular fashion (not sure if that is a symptom). She isn't lethargic and she loved to eat when i wasn't fasting her.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? around 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, but i have been fasting her for the past few days

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week, every 3-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I used to do two 100% water changes, i recently changed to one 66% water change and one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Note: ammonia parameter is different from the first day i noticed the symptoms because i did a 100% water change yesterday

Ammonia: about .5 ppm; I made a post about this problem that after a 100% water change my test shows ammonia and someone said that the water conditioner turns ammonIA into ammonIUM which is not poisonous.
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: about 7.8
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Has trouble swimming, floats to the top
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, i have been fasting her for 3 days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 3 months

I am not sure she constipated due to how long i have been fasting her, but i will fast her some more just in case. I am hesitant to do the pea thing because some people say not to do it and some say it works. Any solutions would be nice. :)
lilbloofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) treatment on her.

Put her in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 
lilbloofish

Thanks for the reply, i will start treatment and hope she gets better. Also, what would be a good place to buy tannin (besides finding oak leaves).
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 
lilbloofish

Ok, so while i was feeding her during the 2 tsp treatment, she never pooped. After the treatment she still had the swim bladder problem so i fasted her for a few days and she made a pretty big poop, then she was swimming normally. Then i fed her about 6 .5mm pellets that i soaked for a couple minutes. The day after i fed her she got the swim bladder problem again. Now i have fasted her for a few days since i fed her and she still has the swim problem and i don't think she has pooped either. This leads me to believe that she has a major constipation problem.

I am getting worried because i feel bad not feeding her, but if i feed her she may get worse. What can i do? Is there a laxative type of thing for fish that i can get at my local pet store?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #5 
brandonwlee

most probably she has a swim bladder disorder. like OFL said, Epsom salt treatment may help out. keep us posted and hope she recovers soon
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #6 
lilbloofish

But i already did the treatment, should i do it again?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I would change brand of food....often the brand of food is what is not agreeing with her system.....

Also, I would repeat the Epsom salt treatment 2tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes...for 10 days...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #8 
brandonwlee

if the situation worsens, you may try to do it again. but for the mean time, since after you stop feeding her for a few days the situation improves, try feeding her small bits of soaked pellet a little at a time, once only daily. monitor the situation. do a full water change with aged water everyday and add some clean indian almond leave, or blackwater extract to provide her a sooting environment. to treat constipation, you may also try feeding her peas.cook the green pea after removing its shell, mashed it up and feed to your betta.
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote