Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Wink Question about an Aquarium Sealant

Two days ago my betta Jean-Luc decided it would be a good idea to go exploring in the bubble/aearation tube. He got stuck, and was lucky that I woke up at 9 am to go to the bathroom so I could rescue him. After rescuing him I took his bubble maker out and thought he wouldn't try anything else stupid. WRONG! He ended up deciding to go exploring underneath his bowl (there's a floor for the gravel and a hole in the middle for the aeration tube). So, long story short after getting him out from there I filled the hole with rocks and after I got back from school brought the tube with me to PetSmart so I could find a decoration that would fit in the hole to deter him from exploring.

I ended up finding the "head" of the fish department and she helped me out both with deciding that the decoration I had picked out was good and with making it so I could still use the bubble maker.

She recommended this sealant for the top of the aeration tube and the underside of the decoration to stick to it

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754549 .

I read the directions and waited 24 hours for it to dry. Since I was not fixing the actual bowl I didn't really pay much attention to the 48 hours thing (don't fill it with water). I put the tube in the bowl after 24 hours and just wanted to see if the lights and bubbles worked. So, I turned on the bubble maker and it half-way made the water & my room smell slightly funny.

Is this stuff really harmless to my little Betta, and will he get sick from having it in there/from my turning on the bubble maker?

Please help so I can stop popping into my room for 2 minutes at a time just to make sure he's still alive and I didn't kill him?
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #2 
c4talys7

I would change the water and start over just in-case and then redo the sealant and wait 48hrs. I don't think it's toxic and that the 48 hours is just a safety zone but better safe than sorry.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #3 
JeanLuc2

Guess I'm cleaning the bowl tommorow after-all. The glue has been holding nice and tight so, would I really have to re-do it?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #4 
JeanLuc2

Just a quick thing: He is acting completely normal and kind-of hates the fact he can't go exploring. I do want to be safe with him so I will likely still clean the bowl tommorow even though I won't be home for very long tommorow.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 
c4talys7

Yeah just change out the water, if he hasn't shown any signs of illness or anything I think he'll be fine.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Maybe you can make some little cave and stuff to explore... they are really curious fish and need mental stimulation...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #7 
turtle10

Just to let you know the bubble maker is not necessary, it also seems to be more stressful than anything.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
turtle10

What is your tank like again?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #10 
turtle10

Make sure you check the sizes, some of those decorations are pretty big.

Tags
aquarium sealant?