Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #1 
demonr6

Need advice with brown algae flare up

I have been battling issues with brown algae for a couple of weeks now and it is really driving me mad. For the record this is an established tank. I test the tank weekly and perform a water change as a maintenance duty. To memory recent changes to the tank, a few weeks ago I pulled out two of the four live plants. A larger Java Fern and a smaller Anubias, this left a smaller Java Fern and another plant. On the water change last week I did a light scrub of the acrylic walls of the tank on the hot spots and the decorations as well as needed. I did not remove them from the tank. More important after the water change I did muck with the filter. Although I did not remove or touch the main filter, I did remove the white Fluval sponge filter I have been using to capture and control the flow of the outgoing water. In my infinite wisdom I decided to replace the sponge filter which was awful brown and nasty with Fluval ceramic bio media. I know, why did you go and do that? Apart from being disgusting I have no idea, but simple swishy swishy was not working. Why I did not use another sponge, again don't ask. It had been working fine for months and I should have just swapped out for a clean replacement. I have made my bed so now I am trying to work through this without making it a bigger nightmare.

It is not a Fluval filtration system, I am using the simple Whisper 10i that came with the Marineland 5. I went with the Fluval white sponge as a baffle/capture some extra good bacteria remedy.

The API tests showed Ammonia 0, Nitrate 5, Nitrite 0. The pH is awful but it is consistently awful since day one so..

I run the light around 8 hours a day, the tank is in a room that is not getting much natural light and what little it does is pretty dim. Water is kept at 80.

I am pretty sure my mucking with the filter media is causing this but any suggestions, comments, concerns, complaints.. I would really appreciate constructive criticism peppered with some advice.. so would the fish, the snail and the ghost shrimp the latter two are useless in this.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote