Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #11 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

The Petco in my area has lost my business... they have tons more bettas but don't take care of them (or other fish well)... I have been observing them for 6 months now. Not impressed.

Taking my business to PetSmart for now... even with their retarded blue betta water. Much better pet store... they hired people who know their stuff and take care of the animals.

The thing is, with the big box pet retailers, you have to evaluate them on a store by store basis. I could adore store X in my area, while store X in your area could be a pit of death! Unfortunately, you've just got to get out there and check them out.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #12 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnificent View Post
@emmalea oh... i was thinking of putting two bettas in because i heard that bettas get stimulated and its healthy for them? im not sure, but i heard this before...
It is alright for them to be able to see each other, though it can sometimes cause them stress.
The main issue about that tank is that it is just too small for more than one betta, when split it half it gives less then 1.5 gallons to each betta.

Also though I have no problem with divided tanks at all I think that only larger tanks should be used, with a tank that small it gives you no room to block the divider with plants or for them to have anything to do besides trying to get through the divider. I think you will find they get super stressed out very quickly.

I would just get one fish, or two tanks. :)
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #13 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Johnificent,

I split a 5 gallon... 2.5 for each betta... that would be a good split... but that would be the smallest tank i'd want to split. Remember, each betta can grow at least 2" long... and I have a female betta who's 3"!

Plan 1" of (full grown) fish per gallon of water.

The other plus to a 5 gallon is you can cycle it, and your water changes tank maintence will be easier... and you fish will be happier with room to move around. :)
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #14 
lilbloofish

PETCO has a better looking bettas but they are usually more expensive. PETSMART has a better selection of equipment, food, medication, etc. At least from my experience.
lilbloofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #15 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbloofish View Post
PETCO has a better looking bettas but they are usually more expensive. PETSMART has a better selection of equipment, food, medication, etc. At least from my experience.
Lilbloofish,

I agree with you, Petco does have a better selection of fish... but the one near where I live is not taking care of them. I went in there on day two weeks ago... pointed out all the ill and dying fish... the kid working the department grabbed them and stacked by the sink. "Good", I thought. "He'll change the water and take care of the sick ones.

The next day I went back. The fish were still stacked by the sink... the very same ones the fish department kid had pulled the day before. I went through their piles of bettas and pulled more sick fish, and put them by the sink as well. Grrr.

Hopefully, your Petco is better than my Petco. :(