Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #1 
hannah16

I'm Planning..

Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on breeding betta's, as I'm hunting right now for some perfect halfmoons & crowntail pairs (In my opinion), but I have a question for anyone who has experience:

How many betta's should I be getting? I read on this website that if anything happens with your pair, that you should have a back up for the pair. Does that mean having an extra male, female or just an extra pair? From my understanding, you want more males then females right? Since all females do is give the eggs? Or am I wrong? Some one please let me know.

Thanks for Reading.

.Hannah.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. The first thing people here are going to ask you is if you have done your research. Don't be offended if they do, they just want what's best for your bettas. We have several experienced breeders here who will be more than happy to answer your questions.:)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #3 
hannah16

Thanks! I've been researching none stop the past week or so. Asking questions on what I can't find answers to. I haven't baught my betta's yet, I want to know everything or close to everything before I get them. I have everything except the betta's themselves & the food they need.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's good that you're researching before you buy. A lot of us bought our bettas first and asked questions later. lol There is a sticky here in the breeding section about feeding fry that is very informative.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #5 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on breeding betta's, as I'm hunting right now for some perfect halfmoons & crowntail pairs (In my opinion), but I have a question for anyone who has experience:

How many betta's should I be getting? I read on this website that if anything happens with your pair, that you should have a back up for the pair. Does that mean having an extra male, female or just an extra pair? From my understanding, you want more males then females right? Since all females do is give the eggs? Or am I wrong? Some one please let me know.

Thanks for Reading.

.Hannah.
If anyone has answers to my questions, please post! Thank you again.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

I think a week is too little.. even if its non-stop. Id say give it a month of research, make sure (by physically checking) that you have access to all that the fry need- all their special and sometimes expensive foods,the medicine they might need and the preventative meds they should have as well as jars to put agressive ones in.

Are you ready for potentially a hundred+ babies? And can you home them?

Even members on this site, with goregous babies at a really great price (better than aquabid!) have trouble homing them.

Just a thought.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #7 
baylee767

Well, I agree with PewPewPew, 1 week isn't quite long enough. At some websites they reccomend owning Bettas for at least 2 years. You don't need to wait that long... but you should give it a good 2-6 months minimum of research. I believe breeding quality crowntails is very complicated, also, you have to learn the color genetics (mainly for those you are breeding, but you never know!) And the fin genetics and if a bad trait a fish has is dominate, recessive, etc. Also, you need to spend a lot of money on a pair, spawning tank, hiding places, growout tank, seperate male containers, food, filters, IAL's, extra heaters, and more.

And you'll most likely need to do water changes 100% daily/every other day with fry. Breeding is something that can really change your life from what I understand, it makes you more responsible and careful and observant. ANd poor LOL.

Okay, anywho, I'd get a sorority of breeding quality females and tanks with breeding quality males! =D Then you have lots of backup and more Bettas. But of course if you do get a bunch of backups (which you really don't need to do...) you need to value each Betta and can't toss them aside just because they don't breed. Just saying this because of things some... people have done.

Good luck with the research and the breeding! Oh, and you should really get a pair from aquabid/a breeder.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #8 
thestompa

Dont breed if you not doing the research enough. You must read until you understand and knw the specific eq, or else you might end with dead fish.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It's hard to say how many pairs to get since you only need one. But things may go wrong so it's best to get 2 pairs of breeders of one tail type.

I prefer 2 females to one male so I can rest them longer before spawning again and as back up if one doesn't want to spawn. But that's just me.

I must agree that a week of research is inadequate. There are tons of possibilities not explained in articles. Try reading the threads here before (if you've read breeding articles) you jump into breeding.

Oh, welcome to the addicting world of bettas.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #10 
hannah16

Thanks for the comments.

I know I'm not ready right now, mainly because I don't think I know enough. I'm asking questions to learn before I dive into this. I think of this as a "Long Term" plan, more so then a Near Future plan, since right now, I 1. Don't even have my tanks out of storage or set up yet, & 2. I want to convert one of my basement room for them.

Basicly, I want to learn first, then set up, then get my bettas, but BEFORE I do anything, I have to prepare! So, thanks for the comments, I'll be keeping everything in mind.

Oh and, Baylee, thanks for telling me about the CTs.