Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #1 
beautiful1749

New betta not swimming right

So I just got a betta from a pet shop tonight. This is not my first. I got a new tank bc it's been awhile w/ decorations, a gentle filter, water treater, light. I set up his tank and treated his water. I do know that I didn't prepare him long enough for switching water and that's my fault. In the store he seemed just fine except he was in a cup basically. After a bit at home, I noticed that he floats vertically or swims upside down or on his side. I've only had him for like 6 hours but when I look at him sometimes that's the way he is in the tank. I'm a paranoid/worrisome person by nature so I went reading and it sounds like swim bladder w/e. But I don't know if I"m just overreacting. I'll update in the morning but any help is nice. Thanks.
beautiful1749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #2 
beautiful1749

Update for the morning- He's now floating at the top by the filter. He's not stuck and he's not by the filter intake. If I jostle the water a tiny bit. he flaps to stay in place but it's like he's hiding under the filter. Hopefully after I come home from my errand I can see him swim some.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 
Cravenne

How big is the tank? Do you have a heater? Are there hiding places in the tank...like plants or caves or something?
Is he swollen? any visible signs of illness?
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your new Betta is not doing well....have a few questions....

How big is the tank, water temp, what kind and how much dechlorinator are you using, are you using any other additives, how is his appetite?
Other than buoyancy anything else going on with him?

Edit...oops...sorry Cravenne...just seen you already asked all this....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #5 
Cravenne

OFL--lol..no,no..ask away. I would have deferred to you anyway! You're the expert.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #6 
beautiful1749

He's in a 1 gallon tank and his temp is in the mid 70's- no heater but we run a hot house. He doesn't have a hiding spot yet. I couldn't find one smooth and big enough. There are some plants though. He's not swollen or pale or anything. He looks beautiful but atm he is at the bottom upside down but still breathing regularly. I used a dechlorinator and the instructions said 5mL for 1 gallon. Nothing else in the water and we have city water not well. I tried to feed him but he didn't seem interested. I went to a local pet shop but they said it could be 1 of 50 different things. They said that I should have put in a different fish first to cycle the tank. But the tank is 1 gallon not 5 and I've had 2 bettas before w/ no problems like this.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Upside down on the bottom is not a good sign...I would first try a 50% water only change and use a little extra dechlorinator.....make sure the water temp between the new and old water a within a couple of degrees from each other...

Also, check the dechlorinator and make sure its not expired and shake well before use and that it covers both chlorine and chloramines...

keep us posted.....if this doesn't work I would do the Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal treatment in QT along with 100% daily water changes
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #8 
beautiful1749

I wasn't able to get new dechlorinator last night bc it was too late. He stayed in the same spot all night on his back breathing. He refuses to move. I don't know what changing his water or using epsom salt would help with. Why would he not move all night but keep breathing? I'm going to a pet store today to see if I can get the couple things OFL recommended.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #9 
beautiful1749

So I changed his water w/ new dechlorinator. He's in a big glass vase atm. He lays on his side at the bottom but is still breathing like normal. It looks like part of his flapper fin has fallen off on one side. I'm not sure but it looks like it. His color is still great and nothing strange is growing on him. He does try to move if I move the vase a bit but he doesn't really get off the bottom.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #10 
beautiful1749

Updated

So my betta is in a QT w/ new water every day and epsom salt in it. He is now floating like the picture below.