Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #1 
zackrspv

How to feed Frozen Blood Worms and Frozen Brine Shrimp?

Okay!

So, ugh, i have this great food, and um, have no idea how to give it to them lol. Do i just shave off peices of the blocks? Melt them?

I'm sure they'll love them lol, but um, i'm an idiot when it comes to frozen foods.
zackrspv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 
denaliwind

I cut off a small piece, put it in a plastic cap and add a small amount of water, the ice melts away quickly. I then use a wooden skewer and pick up one bloodworm or shrimp at a time and plop it into the tank. The remainder of the cube I store in a small, sealed glass jar in the freezer. I only feed frozen food (bloodworms, mysis shrimp and brine shrimp) my bettas love, love, love it and those cubes will last you a very long time!
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #3 
zackrspv

Thank you very much for the quick reply! We have an ant farm here, too, hehe, i try to keep myself as stress-free as i can lol But, when one dies, we promptly clean him out, and just give him to one of our bettas (usually Iggy, who adores ants). However, those obviously wont last long lol. Not enough die to feed my little guys. So decided to give the frozen food a chance. Seems like a great choice, given that Iggy hates pelets, and rarely eats flakes.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #4 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackrspv View Post
Thank you very much for the quick reply! We have an ant farm here, too, hehe, i try to keep myself as stress-free as i can lol But, when one dies, we promptly clean him out, and just give him to one of our bettas (usually Iggy, who adores ants). However, those obviously wont last long lol. Not enough die to feed my little guys. So decided to give the frozen food a chance. Seems like a great choice, given that Iggy hates pelets, and rarely eats flakes.
Ahaha that's awesome! They must really enjoy that. I've fed live fruit flies to my bettas before, that was a real treat, but it's rare that the local pet stores have them in stock. :/
Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
zackrspv

You know, i was considering that. Just wasn't sure how to go about it. I know that if i can place the little fly on the surface water ,the surface tension should hold him down, but then, i dont want dozens of live flies swarming around my home lol. Petco seems to carry quite a big selection of live flies, worms, etc.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #6 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackrspv View Post
You know, i was considering that. Just wasn't sure how to go about it. I know that if i can place the little fly on the surface water ,the surface tension should hold him down, but then, i dont want dozens of live flies swarming around my home lol. Petco seems to carry quite a big selection of live flies, worms, etc.
I used tweezers to get one fly out (that was the tricky part) and kept the rest in the vile they arrived in. Then I just dunked the fly in the water and released it. One of my bettas quickly ate the fly, the other one took longer... he just watched it, unsure of what to do with it, haha. Every once in a while the fly would start to escape so I would have to grab it with the tweezers again and push it under the water.

I recommend the wingless fruit flies, then you won't have to worry about them taking over your house, lol.