Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #1 
Princebetta

Does this stuff actually work?

My betta has a severe case of fungus( or columnaris!!!!), taking over his whole body. I already lost one of my bettas to it yesterday. I just did a 100% water change with aquarium salt and added the recommended dose.... Does anyone have expierence with it? How often to I add a tablet?

please help me save my prince

Last edited by Princebetta; 03-05-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #2 
turtle10

Okay well fungus is different from columnaris, so without knowing which one it is you should not give it medicine. Just continue with aquarium salt and daily water changes until you know what it is.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #3 
Princebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Okay well fungus is different from columnaris, so without knowing which one it is you should not give it medicine. Just continue with aquarium salt and daily water changes until you know what it is.
Well its kinda hard to know which one it is since no one seems to help! Ive posted pics in other threads youve posted in. Ive had my bettas for 2 weeks I dont know much.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #4 
turtle10

Hmm I didn't see the pictures of him, sorry. What thread is it?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #5 
Princebetta

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64331

Hes the blue guy, my red one died...:(

Hes actually worse now, like that pic of the red betta in that other thread.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I have the same exact stuff. It did nothing for my fish really.The only thing that worked was 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.
I hope your fishy feels better, I am sorry to hear about your other fish.
I have had good results using maracyn two on finrot for my one fish, but I have no idea if it would help your fish out or not though. I would try aquarium salt first.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #7 
appledust

I've had my fish get both columnaris and fungus (saprolegnia), so judging by your pictures I'm going to say he has columnaris. If it looks like white slimy or fuzzy patches on your fish then it's columnaris. The disease often looks like a fungus so many people get confused. True fungus is actually really distinct; I didn't realize this until it started growing out of a hole on my poor fish. :\ But it will look like a tuft of cotton with straight, white hair-like structures.

This website was extremely helpful for me when dealing with both of these: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

To treat columnaris I would use a combination of Maracyn 1 and 2. If this fails then see if you can find Furan-2. If I remember correctly it's not sold in Petsmart or Petco; I found it at a local pet store.

Good luck!
appledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #8 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledust View Post
I've had my fish get both columnaris and fungus (saprolegnia), so judging by your pictures I'm going to say he has columnaris. If it looks like white slimy or fuzzy patches on your fish then it's columnaris. The disease often looks like a fungus so many people get confused. True fungus is actually really distinct; I didn't realize this until it started growing out of a hole on my poor fish. :\ But it will look like a tuft of cotton with straight, white hair-like structures.

This website was extremely helpful for me when dealing with both of these: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

To treat columnaris I would use a combination of Maracyn 1 and 2. If this fails then see if you can find Furan-2. If I remember correctly it's not sold in Petsmart or Petco; I found it at a local pet store.

Good luck!
Using maracyn 1 with maracyn 2 will simply make the water more toxic.

Jungle Fungus Clear is Furan-2... dunno why its still labled "fungus clear"
(just discovered that Jungle's Ick Clear is actually anti-fungus, I wonder if their parasite clear is a pH controller?!?)

In the future I'd suggest getting kanaplex from big al's online (www.bigalsonline.com) but be careful and stingy with it, it works better at raised pH and lowered Kh/Gh. Conditions easily managed in a hospital tank with distilled water and a couple grains of baking soda.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #9 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princebetta View Post
Well its kinda hard to know which one it is since no one seems to help! Ive posted pics in other threads youve posted in. Ive had my bettas for 2 weeks I dont know much.
They told you exactualy what to do and what the problem was....
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Columnaris looks more like strands of hair and fungus looks more cottony.Lupin told me this. He knows a LOT about fish diseases.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote