Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #31 
gmd1800

My parents used to have a huge community tank filled with every variety of fish you could think of. My great-grandfather bred black bettas back during the Depression and we still have a tank that he used. It's about 20gal, a "bookshelf" tank, and quite nice! We kept our four male betta in there before they got wiped out by lymphocytosis.

We haven't used it in the last two years, but Mom's hinting that she'd like to give it to me at some point to divide.

When I got Octo, my parents would text me and ask me how their "grandbetta" was doing. :P Very adorable! They also love Hestia - they haven't met her yet, though.

My boyfriend's parents think I'm nuts, but are going to sell me their two 55-60 gallon tanks that came with the house that they bought a couple of summers ago. I plan on starting a community in one and a sorority in the other. Both are going to be planted. The "in-laws" (haha - not married yet!) have no idea!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #32 
Pekemom

Lots of good luck with your new tanks and fish!! Keep us posted - we love pictures!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #33 
Arashi Takamine

My dad told me he saw a really lively delta at Petco the other day in such a vibrant shade of green. Honestly all three of us even my stubburn butt Dad love fish and just how beautiful they are. I'm hoping we find some really beautiful betta's and since our kitchen needs more in it....I'm hoping that a betta will be really active and try to get my mom's attention once again. Personally I want a green betta...A really bright green betta.

Hence why I'm trying to keep off of Aquabid.com.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #34 
gmd1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
Lots of good luck with your new tanks and fish!! Keep us posted - we love pictures!
Of course! The tanks won't be for another few years, since my apartment next year has a limit on how big the tank can be (one gallon "bowl," unheated. I'm going to sneak in a heater though). I might have to leave one of my fish home too. :( Hopefully in graduate school, I can get a small community or sorority started. That'll be after fall of 2012, at least. Depends on when I graduate.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #35 
tokala

I am with you dramaqueen- I am 26, so in between the "being a kid" and "having a kid" stage. But if I do have children someday, I can not think of a better hobby than anything animal related. It teaches responsibility, affection, and hopefully is a child's first positive experience with death (hard, but a reality of the world). I love seeing all these very young ones on this forum so passionate about their animals!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #36 
FuulieQ

My parents have very low tolerance for anything fish related... I tend to get really into whatever I'm interested in to the point where they decide it's unhealthy and band/limit/force me to stop it. And then I have to find something else, and the cycle starts again. :(

Robert is really cute, though, and he's worked his way into my Mom's heart a little bit. They also learned to love my frogs - of course, those little guys are so stupid that it's impossible to not like them.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #37 
BettaLover79

Before I can get a betta I have to study about them it's kinda boring but i've been waiting for a year for a betta and now's my chance but I still have to buy everything but I have $395 bucks any way
BettaLover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #38 
dramaqueen
Banned

My mother has never really liked animals but my dad was a big animal lover. We did have pets but when we were really young my mom was the one who had to take care of them. My mom is not real thrilled with me having 11 bettas. I didn't tell her about my babies coming until the day they came. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #39 
BettaHeart

When i was a little girl i used to go for walks down to the lake and catch the tiny fish that hung around the edges with nets i made from tree branches and grocery bags lol
sometimes i would catch five at a time and put them into a big pickle jar and when i would have atleast ten i would head back home and my dad would set up the old goldfish tank for me making one trip in the car to get a bucket of lake water. My mom didnt really like my little hobby but my dad really seemed to like my funny little habit and helped once in awhile with them. My younger sister would like watching them and sometimes when i wasnt around she would stick her hands into the tank to grab at them. I did lose fish but my dad would walk down to the lake with me and when he would be fishing on one side i would be doing my own fishing on the other, sometimes alone or with my sister or acouple of my cousins.
Afew years ahead i guess i never lost that love of fish but when i first heard of siamese fighting fish and seen pictures of them i wanted one so much but it wasnt until 2006 i finally had one well two of my own. I think if my dad was still alive he would be very supportive and probably even have one of his own.
My mother now is still not really impressed with my interests but she never really approved of anything i like or had to do with my happiness, since i have never lived with her for the past 13 years it makes no difference now if she like my interests or not.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #40 
YoshesMom

Between my mom and I we have ten betta! And 16 tanks when I walked in with my first two boys her response was where's mine?
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote