Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #41 
hannah16

I want to take back what I said earlier - my Dad doesn't like fish.. He LOVES them. I had no idea he'd be so supportive of my love of fish. My Mom barely let me buy Red from WalMart, but my Dad actually took me out on his day off and baught me 7 bettas (He only let me pay for one x.x..I felt so guilty) Plus a bunch of tanks for them. My Mom was like.. "Really? Hannah they are a lot of work." but at the same time she is the one who started my love for fish. She had a community tank back when I was little. Only stopped having fish for a few years because we moved and all the fish died before we packed up and left the old house. Then I got into bettas, and I just chose the pretty ones, not the healthy ones, or the young ones. So I went through about 10 of them before my mom said "No More."

But now, I've gotten back into bettas (And I really would like some neon tetras in another tank.) and my Dad has full blown supported me. He helped me cleans all my tanks, paid for all the heaters, tanks, and fish themselves! The only thing my mom has really done to support me, is drive me to the places I need to go, and after Fighter (RIP) passed away, I went back to PetSmart to get a refund or replacement, and my Mom let me get a replacement. Along with she let me get a 2nd betta from the batch they had. Very healthy little spunky boys I got :3.

But the water in the 10g hasn't settled yet, so my boys had to spend the night in their cups (Yes I changed the water), and I wanted my mom to help me with the filter & I showed her all my bettas (I wish I had a cam to record her face when I started telling her all my bettas names XDDD) And she's like "Oh God you have 2 extra ones." XDD Then I saw 2 pretty males (I wasn't gonna buy 'em) and just stated "Wow, their pretty aren't they?" My mom was like..." Hannah, PLEASE no more!!" XD

If it was my dad he'd break out his Credit Card XDDD Ah.. My parents are so...My dad is awesome - My mom needs to warm up to them XD
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #42 
Ariel1719

Haha well my parents are not a fan... They wouldn't mind having a huge tank that i take care of with lots of different fish inside. They just get mad because i had to go and like the fish that need their own homes.. resulting in more than one tank in the house.. thus 'cluttering' the house. Haha. They aren't really into it... I have to really ask and beg and annoy them to get any new fish (currently only have 3 and it will stay at that number). They get mad every time i want to go into a pet store, so i just stop going with them. On monday I bought a 5gal for my room, but again my mom got mad and made me return it. So i snuck out and bought a second mini bowl for DJ for my room and they are fine lol. Supportive... no. tolerating... yes haha. When we move (in a year) i've convinced my mom to let me get a big 55 gallon for the basement. I hate that they just get mad over fish. I mean, im 19 cammon. I'll be moving out soon enough and then I will have all my own fish stuff.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #43 
PitGurl

My mom always supported my betta obsession. She even had one herself. However she did tell me "no more" when I had one in every room of the house, lol. Anytime I went to a pet store or even worse wal-mart I'd always come home with a rescue and soon the house was over flowing with bettas. Now mom lives in another state and I always update her on the betta situation. She no longer has bettas and when she did all they had at stores were VT's. She's seen my Petco HM's and I told her watch out if you go to a petco near you, the betta bug may bite again.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #44 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Love reading these stories... and who votes for this thread to be a sticky?

There are a lot of young members on the forum that live with their parents. Hey, why not tell about what your roomate, boy/girlfriend, etc. think about the fish situation?

It's cool to hear different stories.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #45 
Goomba3

Boyfriend story? Well, okay! He was not into fish when I met him, we started dating, etc. Then I needed to move in with him temporarily, and the fish needed to come with. I only had one at the time, and he told me "Don't expect me to feed it or clean its tank or anything!" Next thing I knew, he's yelling at me for feeding the fish because he wanted to do it! He was the one who researched bettas and decided we should fast Cheep-Cheep because he was bloated. Then he got more into bettas and decided he wanted a blue one. So of course I went out and got Maximus and Edwin. I would come home from work (at that time 14 hours days) and the bowls would be cleaned. He really got into it, but maintained he didn't like fish, haha.

Once I moved out, he was the one pushing me to get a 10 gallon tank and divide it for the three boys. He helped me build the dividers and set it up. When I got Loki, I asked him to make a top for his tank, and he went all out, putting hinges on it for a feeding door and a little knob to open it. He even mentions every now and then getting his own fish. Yet still says "I don't like fish!" He cracks me up.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #46 
TheCrysCat

Well, my dad doesn't really care either way. My fish are in my room, so he barely even sees them. My mom, on the other hand, has 2 adf's, some chinese sucker fish thing (I really don't know) and five snails. The five snails has their own habitat, tho, don't worry xD Some of the things she says sort of shock me, though. Like today, I mentioned that if my fish had bigger tanks they could have a snail, and she said that I could have a snail in there right now. Fair enough, I'd read somewhere that that was ok, but not the best. But then she said, "Yeah, I mean, you could keep 10 neon tetras in one of those." She was referring to my 2.5 gallon tanks.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #47 
TheKzv

my mom absolutely hates everything that's not human and can't clean after themselves and my dad's okay with it. They both thought i was going crazy for putting 1 betta in a 10 gallon lol my mom said it's only a fish and why care for it so much by putting a filter and heater etc..... and after that i gave her a long lecture about how bettas are a part of my life lol (okay maybe i'm a little too obsessed with bettas)
TheKzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #48 
Alex09

My parents just think my tank and the fish are pretty to look at. So long as I pay for all the stuff and take care of it, they don't mind me having it. Then again, I am 19 :P Still need to tell them about the 20 gallon tank I got from my neighbor...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #49 
mywingedhorses

My parents haven't met my betta yet since I bought him right after I got back to school in January. I didn't tell my dad until spring break and his response was "Not one of those fish." However, he gave me money to buy a 10 gallon tank and everything else for it after I did some work for him over break. My mom doesn't know I have a fish but she rolled her eyes when I told her I had gotten a 10 gallon. I don't think she or my sister understands why I want to go through all the work of caring for a fish while at school.

At school, my roommate and friends don't know why I put so much effort into keeping the fish. I have him in a 1 gallon right now until my 10 gallon cycles so there is a lot of tank cleaning to do. I've had to explain to them several times why the tank has to cycle before I put fish in. Ironically, we are all animal science majors looking to go onto veterinary school. We're all large animal focused though so that might explain part of it. In all honesty, I wasn't that interested into fish until I bought my betta.

Yesterday, I was in the bathroom cleaning my fish's bowl out and a girl from my floor came in and saw what I was doing. She got all excited and asked if I had a fish and what kind it was. She told me she loved fish. Once I left the bathroom with my cleaned out bowl, I met her leaving her room with her coat and purse. She told me I had inspired her to go out and buy a fish. I hope she got a good one.
mywingedhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #50 
Arashi Takamine

I'm only going to say this: If my dad tries to put that crappy conditioner he bought that looks like it's in a can for toxic waste into our tanks again he's not going to have a poker game to work from. Because of his tournaments I believe he went to the first site possible which was Ehow...And we all know how Ehow is...

My mom however is totally with me full on the bandwagon with betta's. I wanna adopt our next one.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote