Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #51 
Corpse

When I bought Mistress I knew that my mom wasn't interested in having a fish because she's not a big fan of fish. She claims that they die to easily and that they're boring, but not to me. A couple of times a week my dad will walk into my room to talk to me and looks at my fish, but other than that he isn't interested either. They'll help me buy medicine and food, but the tanks, decorations, and any other fish I might want are all up to me. Mistress is the only betta I plan on having because I know that we can't afford anymore animals since we already have 5 cats, 3 dogs, and 1 horse without including Mistress.
Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #52 
ollief9

My mum is totally against anything remotely fish-related. Every time I tell my parents i'm doing a water change or cleaning the filter she has a hissy fit.

My Dad, on the other hand, is mildly interested in the fish and occasionaly helps me out with the 50% water changes on my 50 gallon. He took me to buy the new tank and we left mum behind because we know she'd get annoyed if she found out the size tank we were buying.
My mum won't shut up about how the tank 'sticks out like a sore thumb'. I and my dad, however, think it looks great.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #53 
ollief9

My mum is totally against anything remotely fish-related. Every time I tell my parents i'm doing a water change or cleaning the filter she has a hissy fit.

My Dad, on the other hand, is mildly interested in the fish and occasionaly helps me out with the 50% water changes on my 50 gallon. He took me to buy the new tank and we left mum behind because we know she'd get annoyed if she found out the size tank we were buying.
My mum won't shut up about how the tank 'sticks out like a sore thumb'. I and my dad, however, think it looks great.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #54 
Sweeda88

I'm 22, and still dependent on my parents due to multiple factors (please don't judge), and they LOVE my fish. What started out as one fish quickly turned into a full blown hobby. I actually bought some of my things with money from a few babysitting jobs, returning some things to Walmart that I didn't need, and other things were bought by my parents. My dad is always telling me that "your fish have the best owner they could possibly have." He is especially attached to Banana Freckles, one of my males. He's always knocking on my door to look at my fish, and recently said he'd like to have a tank in the common area. I said that I'd do that, but I like being able to have my fish around me all the time. Also, there really isn't room in our house for fish, other than in my room. My mom likes them, too. She thinks they're cute, as does my dad. So they are very supportive. One of my sisters calls me "The Fish Whisperer" (she doesn't live here, though). My other sister always lets me use her phone to snap pictures of any new fish I get when she comes to visit. My brother actually came in my room one day and asked questions about my fish. So, all in all, I have a very supportive family when it comes to my hobby. Sorry for the wall of text. LOL!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #55 
Betta Slave

My parents don't really care about my fish- my mom's fine with them, but my dad (despite being a fish person himself) has grown to dislike them, or so he says- but I've caught him sitting on my bed looking at Leonine multiple times, so...
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #56 
bahamut285

@Sweeda: This is random, but what's wrong with being dependent on parents at 22? :S...I'm 23 and my parents still pay for the majority of my life XD?

ANYWAY, I'm not sure if I posted in here or not, but here goes my story XD

My family used to have a community tank and two turtles at our house. My dad usually took care of them, but never had much luck with keeping them alive for more than 2 years (I don't know why, I was too young to remember clearly). So he eventually gave up on it, and our turtles were adopted by a close friend of my mum's. My parents are huge animal lovers, so much to the point that they DON'T want pets. They both can't handle the loss of a pet, as they rescued a stray kitten when they got married, then the cat ran away a few months after my brother was born. My mum also had several dogs when she was younger that died and such.

They don't mind my fish too much, and my mum always says that I can only get the fish if I promise not to cry, haha. My parents don't know much about fish, but they always listen to my stories about them just to be supportive :D. My brother, although I posted in another thread, dislikes it when I randomly bring a fish home, I think he secretly likes them. He feeds my goldfish every morning :P.

I don't remember what got me hooked onto fish though, my aunt had a pond of koi before, but the last one died recently at the age of 15 O_O.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #57 
iheartmybettas

My parents could care less but I haven't lived with them in about 6 years. Now it is just my husband who has cut me off from buying bettas. He gave away a 10 gallon today that was empty probably just so I wouldn't be able to get anymore. It was his fault I got interested again in the first place because he bought a tank for our daughter and himself so I got 3 small tanks with a betta in each. Now the hobby has just exploded and most of it is mine! I have a 10" oscar in a 75 gallon on top of the bettas which HE bought me for my birthday. He says he doesn't like bettas because they can't live together. He did build me a compound for my tanks though so at least he is still supportive. I am pretty sure everyone thinks I am crazy though! But everyone in the family likes to look at them so I can't be that crazy! :)
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #58 
Sweeda88

@bahamut285 - I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the States everyone seems to expect EVERYONE to be independent at 18, no matter what. I know so many people that think I should be out on my own, no matter what problems I have. The most prominent of which is my Grandmother.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #59 
bahamut285

@Sweeda: Wow. I will not pry into your life, but that is a little ridiculous to me :(...most kids at our age are still in University studying 27 hours a day (haha) let alone somehow managing a job to support themselves. I'm happy to hear that you family is supportive of you though, and in the risk of this getting off topic, I wish you the very best! *cheers*

@iheartmybettas: I bet your house is absolutely beautiful with all those pretty boys swimming around! <3
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #60 
iheartmybettas

@Sweeda - I was 24 when I pretty well broke off from my parents and started my first "out of college" job. I don't see anything wrong with it! I sometimes wish I was still at that place in my life!

@bahamut - Thanks! I love it! And I am pretty sure my husband at least likes it too! He is about to set up his own 75 gallon veiltail Angelfish tank so he's not complaining too much.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote