Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #61 
Sweeda88

I'm not in college or working right now BECAUSE of my problems, which is why people probably have a problem with it. But I honestly can't do either of those things right now. Believe me, I've tried.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #62 
bahamut285

Aww, well all I can say about that is you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. At most, all you can do is try your best, everyday :) Even if you've got a stomach ache, if the best you can do is eat some toast, then that's great~

As long as YOU know you're trying your best, then that should be your peace of mind, regardless of what others think of you :P
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #63 
Sweeda88

Yeah, I still help out around the house when I can. I have chronic pain and I also have a whole host of depression/anxiety and Bipolar disorder. One of the REASONS I have fish is to help me manage my depression and anxiety, and doing water changes a couple times a week actually helps stretch out my muscles and relieve the pain. I've stopped taking pain medication because it doesn't help at all.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #64 
Corpse

Well, my dad recently admitted that he wants an aquarium, but he's not interested in having a betta. He said that the fish he wants to own won't get along with a betta and he doesn't want a fish brawl to explode in his aquarium when he gets it. It makes sense to me, so I'll let him do his thing.
Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #65 
Cassandra90

Well I came across this and decided to post.
I am 21 years old, college student, working at a marina and living with the parents.
My parents own 3 rental houses and one of the tenants left a 25 gallon tank, so my parents cleaned it all up and had it set up as a community tank. It was a horror story. The normal first time fish owner problems. This was about 10 years ago and the tank was running for almost 7 years.

Let's just say after that experience they were not very interested in fish anymore.

Then I went out and bought a 40 gallon a few years ago and they just rolled their eyes and said "you better be taking care of that". Which I did. But the tank cracked....
My mom had a fit over that. Our living room was flooded with fish flopping around. My dad on the other hand rushed out and bought some 20 gallon rubbermaid bins to try to save the fish we could.
Now I own a 55 gallon long aquarium and my parents have grown to love it. My mom is always trying to get me to buy live plants for the tank. Which it has some. My dad always goes out and buys neon tetras, he is obsessed with them. Also, he snuck in 2 army soilders in my tank.

Then on my birthday I bought myself a ten gallon for my bedroom. Parents were not happy since I already had a 2 gallon tank in my room with a betta. But I told them I would divid the ten gallon. So now after a death I have my ten gallon with 1 betta and 3 corys. And my parents do not bother me.

Out of sight, out of mind.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #66 
phoenix91

Luckily i no longer live with my parents so their opinions about what i have in my house don't really bother me. Having said that i told my parents i'd bought a betta fish and my dads first response to me telling him i had to move it up to my room was "i'll come set up a shelf for it then shall i?" and he came to visit me to have a better look at my new fish. My mam pretty much said "what did your dad think?" and said no more about it.

They've gotten used to me and my slight obsession with animals. I have 2 cats that they look after when i got on vacation and a horse which they go to visit from time to time.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #67 
dramaqueen
Banned

IME people are always quick to judge those of us with disabilities. I'm disabled because of my vision. I've never really lived on my own, except when I was in college. When I graduated I moved back in with my mom and I've been with her ever since. Now I'm in a situation where she's needing my help more and more and that's scary for me. I've always been dependent on people because I can't drive. My mom can still drive but she doesn't do much of it. Now, she's the one depending on me and it scares the crap out of me sometimes. I think a lot of people see disabled people as lazy.I've had "jobs" just not your regular "9 to 5" type of job.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #68 
Irishdancer

My Mom thought it was great when I bought my first. I havn't told her yet that I just bought a second, but I don't think my parents will mind. I'll be spending the Summer with my family, and I think they're looking forward to meeting the fish!
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #69 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
IME people are always quick to judge those of us with disabilities. I'm disabled because of my vision. I've never really lived on my own, except when I was in college. When I graduated I moved back in with my mom and I've been with her ever since. Now I'm in a situation where she's needing my help more and more and that's scary for me. I've always been dependent on people because I can't drive. My mom can still drive but she doesn't do much of it. Now, she's the one depending on me and it scares the crap out of me sometimes. I think a lot of people see disabled people as lazy.I've had "jobs" just not your regular "9 to 5" type of job.
Yeah, one of the problems I have is I get so depressed and lonely even being by myself for a few hours. I don't think I could EVER live alone, which is one of the reasons I still live at home. I'm sure that problem stems from my extreme anxiety issues. I'm also not even able to think about getting a job right now because I AM focusing on my health. Right now, I'm doing things that I need to do to manage my mental health, and I'm also doing the things I need to do to get approved for gastric bypass surgery. I have to be mentally stable for at least a year and have dietitian supervised weight loss for 6 months. I couldn't handle that if I had a job right now, so I'm not going to try yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #70 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think one of the things that goes along with depression is feeling isolated. I live in a condominium community that has mostly senior adults living here. I have tried so hard to make friends but my attempt at friendship gets thrown back in my face. So I do stuff pretty much alone, except when I'm with my mom. I would much rather live with someone than be alone, too. I hope everything works out for you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote