Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
myfishjayne

Exclamation Finrot? Please help quicky!!

I'm worried sick about Jayne!
I think he may have finrot, as it doesn't look like fin-biting.
I can't get a picture, sorry. Le'me try and describe it...
His back fin--the large one, I forget what it's called right now--about 1/2-3/4 of an inch appears to be missing. >.<'
And it's like gray-ish around, there's some of the fin left there, in little peaces, like threads, kind of fuzzy 'round the edges.

I DO have 'BettaFix' So, I am going to use that. I am going to put him into his small 3/4 gal. tank for this. But I need a way to heat it--the house it kept at like 60*F. Would it be alright to float the smaller bowl in the five gal. tank?

Housing

What size is your tank? five gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76*F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None...

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tara fakes and pellets, alternating. either a small pinch of flakes or about 2-3 pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? one a day. Mornings.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? about once every three weeks ((I have been to busy to do them once a week, I feel so bad!))
The last one was three~ days ago
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaBowlBuddys and a Ph balancer.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yeah, as I said above, his tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he seems to be hanging out mostly on the bottom, but still comes to me when I call him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just like five minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of...
How old is your fish (approximately) Got him 9/18/2010

Note: when I fed him, he looked fine. When I left at 2pm((six hours ago for me)), he looked fine. I don't know if I just didn't notice it or what...

Please help! I have to go to sleep soon but I won't start Jayne on anything 'til I'm sure it's a good thing to do.

HELP! I feel so bad!!!
myfishjayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

I say do a 50% water change now, because that is a large volume of clean water you will be putting in. That is the simplest and quickest treatment at the moment. Also, check to make sure there aren't any sharp plants or objects that could have torn his fins, because fin rot doesn't usually leave thread like bits of fin hanging off... but do the water change now, that's quick and easy seeing as you are kind of short on time.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 
myfishjayne

Alright, thanks. I won't worry 'bout meds 'til tomorrow if it looks worse. Thanks! Oh, I hope he makes it! though he isn't showing any stress stripes on his head, so that's a good thing.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

I'm sure he will make it, if it is fin rot you caught it extremely early! For now, just do the water change to make sure his water is nice and clean, at least for now. It might even just be a tear, which will heal on it's own with clean water and a stress free environment.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 
myfishjayne

Ohhh no, it's not a tare. >.<' I wish I could get a pic, but alas, I cannot. But yeah, he's a vary tough little fishy. He'll make it.

Also, I forgot to say that there has been a little bit of an algae problem. >.<'
But I got most of it out last water change, and this time I'm throwing in some Jungle 'Tank buddies No More Algae' thing that I JUST found in Jayne's extra filters' box. So, Yeah. I've got to go to sleep now. I'll up-date ASAP.
Wish Jayne and I luck! And join jaynefinn.webs.com! Thanks.
No, really, thanks. I've been in a frenzy/panic.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

You are absolutely welcome! I do everything I can to help bettas and owners in need! As do we all. If it is definitely not a tear, then just watch him closely. You already did a 50% water change tonight, correct? I'd start doing 25% daily after tonight, okay? He's a tough guy, he'll be fine!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #7 
myfishjayne

Yeah, I just did the 50% water change. And alright, I will. And yeah, he is vary tough. Just like Jayne Cobb, who Jayne Finn's named after. ^_^
I'll keep you up-dated. But I gotta to go to sleep now. -_-'
It's so hard being so young and a new fish owner. But, hey, I'm trying my best. ^_^ I'll post tomorrow.
G'night all! ^_^
Old 03-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

G'night! Good about the water change. :) And good. And oooh, cool! Only one of my fish I named after someone, and it's not even a real person! :P Book characters feeeel like real people though! Harry Potter characters do, anyway. :P Good luck with fishy! Updates tomorrow mornin.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #9 
myfishjayne

Alright, well, it's now... 7:46 AM as I begin to write this...

This tail does not look much worse, witch is good. He still isn't showing stress-stripes, that's good, so, he ought to be good.
He's still pretty friendly, haha.
He's by a floating play, almost 'sitting' on it. He's like 'Oh, hey, what'sup?' ^_^ He's so cute. Should I add a little Aquarium Salt or something like that to the tank, y'think? Sadly, I'll be vary buy today with house work, so I don't know if I'll be able to get on much. :-/
Well, wish Jayne luck.
I'll up-date if anything changes.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #10 
myfishjayne

Er... Plant. -_-'