Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #1 
PhilipPhish

Question Some habitat help?

So I have a 3 year old blue and red butterfly betta. He likes to hide and rest and such...your average fish.
He has a little one fish square tank. it has a little green plant in it and like 12 big blue pebbles.

I really want to update his habitat, but I'm not sure what to put in it.
I'm going to get a new tank for him with a filter in it, so I don't know how to get him into it without him getting depressed.

A little help?

~
Philip & Sydnie
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

What are the current demsions/size of the tank he is in?

And what size are you updating to?

I dont really get what you mean by not depressing him..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #3 
PhilipPhish

Well I switched his tank out a long time ago and he was really sad....

I'm going from like a a one betta fish kindda tank to a 5 gallon tank
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

"betta" tanks arent tanks at all, theyre cruel. Theyre just ways for companies to make money off people who dont know better. I bet yours isnt even a gallon, right? They say theyre great for bettas but arent, not at all.

Get him the 5 gallon. Hes not sad. You proabably just didnt change the water right/acclimate him correctly and he felt cruddy from it. Make sure you know how to do that right to help him be comfy.

Get some more plants, silk is best. If you get plastic, you need to make sure it wont rip their fins. Use a pair of panty hose to see if it snags, if it does, its too sharp.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #5 
MoePaac

I think you're really going to enjoy upgrading to a 5 gallon tank. I'm sure your betta will enjoy the extra space as well! I know which tank you are talking about (with the blue pebbles)... they are very small and can be hard to maintain temperature and water quality.

You'll find that a heater works better in a 5 gallon tank and this will improve the overall mood of your fish. If by depressed you mean not moving around much, this could be because he is cold. When you get your new tank, make sure and get an appropriate sized heater. This will do wonders for your fishes mood!

Since you'll have more space, you can add a cave or maybe a coffee mug that is turned over. This will provide your fish with a place to "hide" and just chill out. This could also help make him more comfortable. With the extra space it would also be a good idea to add some either fake or real plants. Some good real plants are java fern, anubias, anacharis, java moss, and marimo balls. Those are really easy plants if you are interested. If you don't want to try live plants, get some silk ones. These will also help your betta feel more comfortable and give him something to rest on close to the surface.

You could also look into the nitrogen cycle. Google this or search the forums for more information. This process is really great for the tank, and you wont have to change the water as frequently. I strong encourage you to look into this or ask about it.

Also make sure you are using water conditioner when making your water changes.

If you consider these things, I think you'll see a huge improvement in your betta's attitude! If you have any more questions let us know!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #6 
Pekemom

Great advice, everyone!! Did these answers help, Philip?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #7 
PhilipPhish

Thanks guys!

I'll most certainly look into it. Hes in like one of those fish bowls.
I'll go to the pet store and get him some stuff.
I entered a raffle fro a starter fish set. If I get it, it will be a 10 gallon tank with all the stuff to care for your fish. so I'll talk to my mum about it.

I'm also moving him to my room downstairs when I get a filter tank. He currently lives upstairs. is there any thing I need to do to get him ready for the move to my downstairs?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Make sure what ever you put the tank on is strong enough to hold a very heavy tank. I think a gallon's like 8-10lbs, and at 5-10 gallons, thats a lot! Add in decor and stuff, thats even more. Make sure its sturdy, wont shake, and has space near it to do water changes.
what do you mean, to get ready?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #9 
PhilipPhish

Alright. I'll have to ask a friend to make a betta house for me....

I mean do I have to do anything special for him? There's a fairly good temp chang from my upstairs to downstairs. Will it send him into shock?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #10 
bettafish15

As long as his tank is heated to 78-83F and you acclimate him before putting him in his new tank he should be okay.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote