Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 
marry994

Is my tank okay? Im so worried about Hans :(

I have a betta, Hans (:
I got him a week ago.
He lives in this tank http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/betta-bowl.htm#
I feed him 2-3 times a day.
But, i'm worried he is not happy.
I think his tank is too small, and hes cold.
I put a desk lamp aimed on him, and it gets really warm and he is staying right in front of the light so now I think he really was cold. I can't leave the lamp on him all the time. I'd love to get more fish and even another betta but i'm scared I can't manage them :(
I don't want to make Hans angry, or kill him.
Help?
marry994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

Well, cold could definitely be part of it. Bettas are torpical, they like water that is around 76-82 degrees F...also...that bowl is really small...is it possible you could get him a 1 gallon or better yet, upgrade to a 2/2.5/5 gallon? Bettas are very misunderstood creatures...they like warm water and room to swim. Hans could certainly survive how you're caring for him now, but he likely won't be all that happy. Try to give him a larger tank...if you get a REALLY big one (5gal minimum) you could even buy a tank buddy...a shrimp or snail or something =D
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

Id say thats too small, yeah...Its hard to manage that size!
Depending on what youre willing to spend, 5 gallon tanks arent too expensive and if you wanted, you can divide them! :D I have one and divided it.

Id get a heater, like, right away. While waiting for a new tank, go to the store and buy a rubbermaid (clear) container thats over a gallon at least. Theyre cheap and you can heat them until you get a new tank while keeping your buddy happy. Make sure you put plastic wrap with holes over it, too. Also, dont skimp on quality if you do this- rubbermaid is a great brand and would be $10 max for a really good size!

As far as heaters go, look for ones recommended by members per your tank size. I wouldnt get a 150w one for a 2 gal and vise versa XD
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #4 
Abby

as stated a 5 gal tank can be divided in half, or grab a 10 gal and go divide by three :) your betta would benefit from more room and a heater. the smaller the tank the more maintenance eg:
i have two 5 gals, one 14 gal, 1 gal qt tank, 2 x 2 gal critter keepers for qt or space and a 0.6gal tank, the smallest is the hardest, needs daily-2 x daily water changes, the 1gal and 2 gals need DAILY water changes even my temp borrowed 6 bay tank thats filtered needed two daily water changes, it doesnt seem like much maintenance but trust me its time consuming. plus it takes a lot of water conditioner lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote