Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #1 
Emmalea

Petsmart, this is all your fault.

So I was in my local Petsmart about a month ago and happened to look at the bettas.
I normally don't because I feel really sorry for them, my petsmart isn't really bad no dead fish or anything, but they don't change the water very much and they think it's ok to fed bettas those week long feeder things in their cups.
Anyway when I looked they only had a couple of fish left, some veiltails and one little crowntail who was totally giving me the please buy me face.
I almost did buy him that night but I talked myself out of it because I was waiting on my shipment from thailand and I don't like to support petsmarts betta sales.
Driving home there were two times that I almost went back to get him.

I go to petsmart about every week or two and the next few times I didn't take a good look at the bettas but I always saw him there in his sad little cup and wanted to take him home, I don't know what it was about him because I normally don't fall for Ct's.

So I was there yesterday and my sister wanted to look at the bettas, it was almost time for a new shipment so they didn't have very many left.
Of course the little Ct was still there only this time he was laying at the bottom of his cup looking sickly and his breathing was labored.
I picked up his cup and looked at him, at this point I starting thinking about my spare 2.5 setup.
I put him back on the shelf to go get what I had come to the store for and to think over if I had the time to take care of another sick fish since Zu is still not well, and I'm moving at the end of the month and already have 7 bettas to worry about.
But as I went to leave he swam to the top of his tank and flipped his fins at me and I knew there was no way I could leave him again...

I am now the proud owner of the least impressive little Ct I have ever seen.
He is a red cambodian and he is tiny, about the size of my females and and has the cutest little fins. I would almost think he was female except his ventral fins look male.
He is doing really well in his new tank and when he is done QT in two weeks I will probably put him in my divided tank with my other boys.

He has been named Ricky.
I will post some pic of him later as he is a little camera shy at the moment.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Awww, what a sweet story! Wow, what a fighter too, weeks and weeks he was there! I caved after seeing my Luna in petsmart for 1 week. :) So glad you got the lil guy! Can't wait to see pics. :) Good for you!
Bettaluver4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #3 
fishman12

Can't wait for pics!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #4 
hannah16

Aw, what a great story! I don't know how you resisted not get him, I fell for Red, my lil red & silver metalic CT instantly, and I got him so last minute I almost forgot his food, Lol. Congrats, I look forward to pictures.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #5 
Emmalea

I was really hard to not get him for so long, but I'm super busy I work full time and I'm also getting ready to move.
I also didn't have anywhere to keep him at the time and told myself that someone else nice would take him home.
But there was no way I could leave him there to die in a tiny cup, maybe he knew this and was just faking being sick so I would take him home, he seems fine now.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

Haha, if he did fake it he did it because he wanted you to be his betta parent soooooo much. Haha! Can't wait for pics! And agh, sounds stressful!
Bettaluver4evr is online now   Reply With Quote