Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #1 
Khor5e

Phil wont eat...

SO i rescued a new betta! he's a crowntalied male gorgeous! But he will not eat. I takes it into his mouth and about a minute later spits it out. And I've tried two different types of food. What should i do?? and what are the best flakes to feed them? I have tried freeze dried bloodworms (which my other fish loves...wont eat anything else) and Bettabites....please help i dont want him dead =(
Khor5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #2 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khor5e View Post
SO i rescued a new betta! he's a crowntalied male gorgeous! But he will not eat. I takes it into his mouth and about a minute later spits it out. And I've tried two different types of food. What should i do?? and what are the best flakes to feed them? I have tried freeze dried bloodworms (which my other fish loves...wont eat anything else) and Bettabites....please help i dont want him dead =(
How long have you had him? It's not uncommon for a betta introduced into a new home to not eat right away, may take a couple days or even a week (rare cases even longer). Maybe he needs a couple days of adjusting before he has an appetite. Although, the fact that he is actually trying to eat would mean he does have an appetite. Perhaps the pellets are too big or they need to be soaked in water before feeding.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #3 
Khor5e

I've tried soaking them...I got him on wednesday so it's been a week. I dont know, my other fish ate the second day. Then again I think I got booboo younger so he was less traumatized. I did rescue Phil from some girl who didn't want him. She was about to flush him down a toilet!!! So I bet he wasn't treated well. I'll give him some time i guess
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #4 
denaliwind

Quote:
I've tried soaking them...I got him on wednesday so it's been a week. I dont know, my other fish ate the second day. Then again I think I got booboo younger so he was less traumatized. I did rescue Phil from some girl who didn't want him. She was about to flush him down a toilet!!! So I bet he wasn't treated well. I'll give him some time i guess
O.O
Oh no! Well good for you, I'm glad he has a new home now. Do you know what his previous owner fed him, maybe he'd eat that? How does his health appear other wise?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #5 
Khor5e

I asked for the food that she had and she said she didn't have any...so I'm assuming she just wasn't feeding him. I can't believe someone would get a fish and not take care of him. It annoys me.

His health has actually got alot better since I took him in. He's in a bigger tank and has a plant to hide in now. His colors have brightened up and he swims around alot more. Maybe he just needs some time. He is very skiddish of hands and movement though...we'll see how things turn out.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #6 
denaliwind

Quote:
I asked for the food that she had and she said she didn't have any...so I'm assuming she just wasn't feeding him. I can't believe someone would get a fish and not take care of him. It annoys me.

His health has actually got alot better since I took him in. He's in a bigger tank and has a plant to hide in now. His colors have brightened up and he swims around alot more. Maybe he just needs some time. He is very skiddish of hands and movement though...we'll see how things turn out.
Yikes I can't imagine anyone not having betta food.... >.>
Sounds like he has some adjusting to do, especially if he was neglected. It's a good sign though that his colors have brightened up and he's active. Keep us updated!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #7 
Khor5e

OK, so I went to the pet store and got some tropical flake food. He seems to like that! cross my fingers he'll keep eating it! haha