Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 
BettasForever

The Cup Experiment: Day 1

Mr. Comet has fin rot (or so I thought...)

Its the darn plant.(i think) The 'spiky' one, as everyone tells me. I took it out today. And replaced it with a cup that took a steaming-hot-water-bath and has no sharp edges. Heres a pic. Maybe it wasn't fin rot after all. Even after 5 of the seven days with bettafix, nothing was happening. There's no gray edges, so it's not fin rot. Darn plant. >:l Here's a pic of the new look. It's kinda boring, but until I can get silk plants that will be his hiding spot. Thoughts?
Attached Images

BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Its a bit empty, yeah... But fine if temporary. I can give you links to plastic (cheapish) plants, if you want, that I had great luck with. I know youre looking for silk, but sometimes theyre more expesive and harder to find.

You can also put another cup in there and CAREFULLY stack another cup against the one in there, making like a little tunnel. Make sure its secure, though, half bury the bottom for stability.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #3 
BettasForever

Thanks. But until he goes into the cup, I won't be adding another one, lol!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #4 
demonr6

Be grateful yours is not pitching a fit like mine. I had to move Polo into Qt because he managed to shred his dorsal somehow and I wanted to get him into some AQ salt. Well, bad idea. Even though the QT is a 2g critter keeper, heated with water changes he is not having any of it. He clamped his fins, sits in a corner and lays motionless sideways on a rock. Today he decided to start spitting out his food too. Good grief we have a pouting 5 year old kindergarten fish..

The keeper isn't bare, it has some river stones, a small live anubias, his betta log and an airstone because he likes to chase bubbles. Stupid moody fish..
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Aw, Comet might be kinda grouchy! :P But you can get him some nice silk plants soon, and he'll be fine! :) He looks good anyway, bright vibrant colors. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #6 
demonr6

What made you think it is fin rot though? I thought the same thing was happening to Polo, I checked the water and went nuts thinking something was wrong with him and it looks like he's a tailbiter and not fin rot.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #7 
BettasForever

A Cup Experiment: Day 2

The fins got smaller every day, so I assumed that Bettafix would fix it. Today he was moved into Pineapple's little bowl getting 100% changes every other day. No plants in the tank, just a little decoration, and his fins aren't getting any worse, but I see tiny, tiny improvement. Not much that my camera can capture, anyways. But it's getting better. :) Pineapple loves the roomier tank and my grandma is going to get me a 1.5-2.0 gal tank for Comet, or I might put Pineapple in the new tank and put Comet back in his 2 gallon. I haven't decided. Yeah, Comet was spitting out the food but I put 4 pellets in a cup (the one he came in) with a little water for 10 minutes, and each fish gobbles the pellets up without spitting them out. I did a 100% water change in the 2 gallon today to get the smell of Bettafix out (yucky). I need a good 1-2 gallon aquarium for Comet. Cheaper the better (for me).
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

At petsmart there is a 1 gallon tank for $15 with an airstone and undergravel filter and light, or there is a 2 gallon hex tank for $25 with the same stuff. :) It's good to know he's healing a little. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote