Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #11 
vaygirl

You're welcome. I went through the same once when Tango ate a ghost shrimp and my corydoras pellets and his own food. He spent two pathetic days resting on the heater bracket, looking pitiful.

If you think it would make him more comfy, you can slide the heater up a bit so that he can rest closer to the surface on the bracket.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #12 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
You're welcome. I went through the same once when Tango ate a ghost shrimp and my corydoras pellets and his own food. He spent two pathetic days resting on the heater bracket, looking pitiful.

If you think it would make him more comfy, you can slide the heater up a bit so that he can rest closer to the surface on the bracket.
Two days? and he ate a ghost shrimp (which would seem to be pretty big to me! )PLUS other food?
I've had about an hour+of this and I'm exhausted!
I don't know how you did it!

I did slide the heater bracket up (thanks for the suggestion!)- had to slide it back down (surprised him!- he tried to move over it like before, and he decided it was too high, so I slid it back down a little).

I also found an extra suction cup with a tube sticking out from the filter (had it just hanging it in the tank) and I moved it over to the corner (near the thermometer) so it makes a little 'area of support' for him. He did visit it (when visiting me sitting near by). (He is CRAZY personable- he just always wants to see what's going on outside the tank, whether it be human/beagle/terrier! lol).

He also has a betta leaf (still tweaking the height on it- he's small for a betta), a betta log (likes to lay between the glass and the outer curve of the log), the suction cup corner, and the heater bracket (& also hangs behind the filter).

It's still unsettling because this is unusual behavior for him, but he did have an impressive poop (with more to come, as he looks like a pretty plump dumpling still!).

He is 'stabbing' at the surface somewhat- can't tell if he's trying to breathe, make bubbles, find food (that is not there).

His swimming is more rapid/jerky/angry than normal, but he does seem much better!

Am hoping that the 'tincture of time ' (plus fasting, plus a more knowledgeable caterer ) will help him get back to normal!

Should I add aquarium salt? (none so far, do have it on hand, along with Epsom salts).

Would a tea bag in the filter be helpful?- have black tea & green tea & white tea available (though I have to check to ensure decaf).

Thanks so very much for hanging in there with us- SO VERY APPRECIATED!!
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #13 
k2ofcu

Oh, gosh- kinda excited because I think I may have gotten the betta leaf at the right height- he seems to be hanging out over it (with his little spine just clearing the surface).
He actually seems to be resting there!

Want to turn out the light to let him rest but am afraid he'll move (Mr. Twitchy!)

So of course- he moves just as I finish writing this. Took advantage & turned off light (still a backlight through the backdrop, so the lighting is more subdued /less shocking).

Hurray!!- he moved back onto the leaf!
I actually feel a sense of accomplishment!

Last edited by k2ofcu; 03-07-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #14 
Thunderloon

I don't like your ammonia concentration, if that's a powered tetra in-tank filter it should have a bio-sponge of some sort. It should be a black loose sponge or a white fibrous material in a bracket.

This should never be washed/exposed to chlorine. Even if you do full water changes and aren't relying on cycled filtration you should let this component stay dirty. If he's alone in the tank the bio filtration should easily be sufficient to complete the cycling.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #15 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
I don't like your ammonia concentration, if that's a powered tetra in-tank filter it should have a bio-sponge of some sort. It should be a black loose sponge or a white fibrous material in a bracket.

This should never be washed/exposed to chlorine. Even if you do full water changes and aren't relying on cycled filtration you should let this component stay dirty. If he's alone in the tank the bio filtration should easily be sufficient to complete the cycling.
No worries about exposing any tank materials to chlorine- am not doing so (but it's always good to have things clearly stated! ). They are indeed allowed to stay 'dirty'- only swished out in the tank water to be discarded (not the new tank water to be added).

Agreed that you would THINK that the bio filtration should be easily sufficient, but it has not been (scratching head).

If you check my setup (tab)- I have
1)the black 'biosponge', (not rinsed in chlorinated water)
2)the carbon cartridge (again, not ever rinsed in chlorinated water),
3)additional ceramics for biofiltration (shoved in the back of my filter per my local fish shop (a regional go-to destination for aquarists)(rinsed in tank water if needed)
4)biosponge (again from a reputable fish shop) buried in the gravel (rinsed in tank water as needed)
5) plants/fixtures/gravel that have not been rinsed in chlorinated water (only old tank water).

25W Hydor Theo Heater @ 80F.
6 gallon tank/Whisper 10i filter

I did have four 'betta bulbs' that I just removed from the tank as they did not grow and only seemed to be rotting in the tank (which may be a culprit).

I've yet to have nitrites/nitrates above zero; the ammonia can easily restore itself to 1-0.5ppm overnight from a 50% water change.

The incoming tap water has 0 ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, but a pH of 8.4-8.8 (purple on an API test for high pH) out of the tap (I dechlorinate it & degas it with an air stone overnight before adding- gets it into the 8.0-8.2 (brown/light brown on API test) range.

Still higher than I'd like, but have been discouraged from playing with pH - and agree given the potential for inconsistent pH.

However, the pH does make water changes challenging- if you add water that is ammonia free, the pH is high unless you dechlorinate it (of course) & really degas /acidify it with bubbling (hydrogen exchange with air) (and it's still in the 8.0-8.2 range).

Thanks very much!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #16 
vaygirl

How's he feeling tonight?

I didn't really freak about Tango. He kinda brought it on himself. His tank is right next to my computer desk so I'm able to watch him without too much trouble. I just kept an eye on him now and then. He stayed on that bracket pretty much the whole time.

I'm glad he's comfy. The things we do for their comfort! I wouldn't use aquarium salt at this point. He should be okay without it. Green tea might help though, as long as it's decaffeinated (I think all green tea is). I've never used it but if I did I guess I'd steep it in some tank water for a while and then dump it back in the tank?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #17 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
How's he feeling tonight?

I didn't really freak about Tango. He kinda brought it on himself. His tank is right next to my computer desk so I'm able to watch him without too much trouble. I just kept an eye on him now and then. He stayed on that bracket pretty much the whole time.

I'm glad he's comfy. The things we do for their comfort! I wouldn't use aquarium salt at this point. He should be okay without it. Green tea might help though, as long as it's decaffeinated (I think all green tea is). I've never used it but if I did I guess I'd steep it in some tank water for a while and then dump it back in the tank?
He's actually ok as of this writing. Was irked at me this morning when I didn't feed him-still not happy with that! ha!
He still seemed a bit bloaty (nothing like the night before) but he produced two impressive poops (one last pm, one this am) which seemed to accomplish 'mass balance'.
So appreciative of your kind assistance!- and for recommending the advice of OldFishLady (who kindly responded to my PM with a treatment plan w. Epsom salts).
I do have it at the ready (1 dechlorinated gallon with 1 tsp/gallon E.salts+1 organic decaf green tea(& only green tea) bag percolating, and 1 dechlorinated gallon with 2tsp/gallon E.salts+1 organic decaf green tea(& only green tea) bag percolating).
Have held off on administering, but it's ready if I need it.
He did 'list' sideways a bit today when I changed out one gallon of water & ran back to his heater, but seems ok now.

Would like to add green tea bag to his filter, but believe that I'd have to take out the carbon filter if so?

(and do I just discard that (seems that it would need to stay in tank water to stay active), get a new one (which would throw off the nitrogen cycle, but it's not terrific anyway), or......?)

THANKS once AGAIN!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #18 
vaygirl

Oh yeah, I forgot about carbon. I took mine out a long time ago (I use rings and a fiber pad thingie). I think you can leave the carbon in, being that you're still cycling. It won't remove the tea right away. I used to have tannins in my water from driftwood and I had yellow water for a good long time, probably a year even with carbon.

I'm glad he's feeling better. And keep him off the food for tomorrow as well. He doesn't know any better. :) They do beg. I fast mine once a week and they always look at me like 'WAIT!!!!!!!!! Where are you going!?". Even my dwarf puffer looks insulted.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #19 
maycausedeath

I'm glad your fish is feeling better!

About your carbon filter, I've heard that if it's old and no longer working (I'm assuming it's activated carbon v: ) it can cause high nitrate/ite readings cause gunk builds up on it. I'm not sure about ammonia, but it's something that might be causing it.
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #20 
CrownTail

I have a problem with my male betta. He is really really full I only feed my bettas twice a day with bettamin. I havent seen any poop on the bottom of his bowl yet. When I cleaned my female bettas bowl she took a poop then all of a sudden its gone, so im wondering if they are eating there own poop or something. Please help me what I might be able to do.
CrownTail is offline   Reply With Quote