Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Heaters in Jars?

You guys saw my tanks right? The cookie-jars turned betta homes. Will mini heaters be a good idea for those tanks or will it be a bad idea?

We're seriously contemplating this because we are getting the boys tomorrow and we wanna know as much as we can.

Will the temperature flacuate in the tanks? They're 1.5 gal so I'm not sure how that'd be effected.

Will the chord be long enough and are they on the outside or inside?

What brands are the best and preferably the most affordable for mini heaters for tanks?

Lastly - How much would two be?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #2 
chelsmarie23

I have a Zoomed Bettatherm miniheater. I was able to put it in my betta's bowl when he lived in a 1 gallon and it works with his 2 gallon tank too. It keeps his tank around 76-78 degrees and he seems pretty happy. :)
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #3 
denaliwind

The Marina 10w heater works well for small tanks up to 2 gallons, it's designed to keep the tanks at 78, it's small and doesn't take up any space. I'm not a big fan of the flat heaters like the ZooMed, I might be wrong, but the flat heaters are designed to just raise the temp a couple of degrees, there is actually no set temp goal, so if you're water is at 70, it might raise it to 74, which is still too cold.
Definitely get a heater though, and the 10w listed below will work well with your small tanks.

Can't wait to see your new boys! :D

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...008&lmdn=Brand

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-07-2011 at 10:06 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks guys. I'll rally this information to my mom when she comes to get me when we get the boys.

Wish me luck!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #5 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Thanks guys. I'll rally this information to my mom when she comes to get me when we get the boys.

Wish me luck!
Good luck! :D
Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
The Marina 10w heater works well for small tanks up to 2 gallons, it's designed to keep the tanks at 78, it's small and doesn't take up any space. I'm not a big fan of the flat heaters like the ZooMed, I might be wrong, but the flat heaters are designed to just raise the temp a couple of degrees, there is actually no set temp goal, so if you're water is at 70, it might raise it to 74, which is still too cold.
Definitely get a heater though, and the 10w listed below will work well with your small tanks.

Can't wait to see your new boys! :D

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...008&lmdn=Brand

Read all the reviews about this heater. Seems pretty hit & miss on if a person gets a unit that works.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Read all the reviews about this heater. Seems pretty hit & miss on if a person gets a unit that works.
I didn't get that model they didn't have it. We got one that was pre-set and totally different brand. The boys are doing better. The water's creeping up to 70 now. Only eight degree's until perfection.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #8 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Didn't realize that was a problem. I've used two of those heaters in the past and they did the job and a better job at that then the flat heaters I had been using before. Perhaps I was just lucky.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #9 
Thunderloon

Eh

All the units work, its hit or miss whether someone has taken the unit home and damaged it then brought it back, or the unit has been dropped or the person who is complaining expected too much of the unit.

The only bad heater I've ever had was a penn-plax that leaked within a month. I dried it out in the attic for two months and it works fine.

Remember that ALL aquarium heaters are designed to be stuck on their sucker to the wall of the tank and won't work right laying down, sticking out of the water or if you don't unplug them at least an hour before you take them out of water.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Eh

All the units work, its hit or miss whether someone has taken the unit home and damaged it then brought it back, or the unit has been dropped or the person who is complaining expected too much of the unit.

The only bad heater I've ever had was a penn-plax that leaked within a month. I dried it out in the attic for two months and it works fine.

Remember that ALL aquarium heaters are designed to be stuck on their sucker to the wall of the tank and won't work right laying down, sticking out of the water or if you don't unplug them at least an hour before you take them out of water.
Got it. We suctioned them to the very back of the tank and Kalona despite hiding is starting to become more active.