Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #11 
Lion Mom

Won't work laying down? ALL my heaters except one (due to space) is laying down & have been for years and work just fine. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #12 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Won't work laying down? ALL my heaters except one (due to space) is laying down & have been for years and work just fine. :)
Btw, that heater does work lying down.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #13 
Goomba3

I have the ZooMed BettaTherms that I used in my 1 gallons and still use when I need a QT. I think it worked fine, it kept the temp around 76, which isn't amazing, but good enough. The boys were much happier with the warmer water, even if it wasn't perfect.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #14 
SkullX

I have the Marina C10 in my 2.5 gallon tank and it doesnt seem to heat the water enough. This was brought to my attention when my daughter thought her fish was "stuck". He really was just hanging out at the top of the heater. When I looked at the thermometer is only reading 72.

Would the Marina C25 be too big for this tank (Aqueon Bow 2.5)? I dont want to get the water too hot. I also saw they have a C17, but I haven't been able to find that anywhere yet.
SkullX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #15 
Lion Mom

I use 25 watt heaters in my 1 1/2 gal. & 2 gal. glass bowls. You just have to futz with them some to get them where you want them temp wise. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #16 
TaylorW

I use a 25 watt in my 2.5 and it doesn't get the water too hot. It probably would get pretty toasty if I decided to turn it up to full power though XD

At about 2/3 power it keeps the water at a nice 80 degrees :)

I wouldn't suggest buying one of those hang on the edge of the tank heaters though. It was cheap and it worked well, but my new submersible just keeps the water temp much more stable! The submersible is a bit easier to use as well.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #17 
redbettagirl

I like the hydor 7.5W miniheater. It's pretty flat so it doesn't take up a lot of room, and it works lying down, and under gravel. It's not programmable though.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Mini-Aqu...630721_82.html
redbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #18 
denaliwind

There's also the Marineland mini 10w heater.

I think you could get away with using a 25w heater, just have to monitor the temp. But it all depends on how much space you have in your jars, if they're long enough most 25w should fit, if they're short then a smaller heater will have to do. ^^
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #19 
Thunderloon

I add in secondary heaters on my tens for winter, that way I have the same predictable operation and direct heat input into the water, but just doubled.

The higher the wattage of the heater, the more it will over-run the target temp before it shuts off.

I use mostly external thermometers, the little sticky ones, they will err on the side of the house temp which is actually fairly accurate for the air-on-water temp the betta are breathing. To get a good reading from these you just hold a folded washcloth up against them for about 90 seconds.

Some things you can do to make your heater work better:

Cardboard behind the tank background.
House plants around the tank, especially if there is air-flow across the tank.
Put an old used filter cartridge over top of the hang on back power filter to reduce evaporation.
Put the heater where there is water flow or stand it up so it causes circulation.
Wrap the tank with a layer of saran/cling wrap. (great in winter)
Use a small desk lamp shining down close in at one end, leaving other in shadow.
Shine a desk lamp on the black body of the HOB filter.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #20 
Thunderloon

If you use a heater that is rated for a larger tank than you have it is important to stand it up: The temp sensors in heaters are almost always in the upper section, getting the heat up there faster will make the heater's cycle shorter. Since they generate heat on the inside and let it conduct out this can make the difference between overshooting your temperature by a lot or by little.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote