Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #1 
Lion Mom

Small Sword Plant Question

A while back I purchased one of the sword plants that stays small from Heather in Arizona for one of my 10 gal. tanks (this particular tank doesn't have a betta, but guppies).

Well, it is sending out shoots with new baby plants on the top of the shoots. My question is - do I cut the baby plants off & plant them or do I just bend the shoot (stem from the mother plant) over and plant the baby plant that way?

Thanks in advance!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I propagate two different ways with sword plants...one-I bend them and place a rock or the shoot and once they send roots into the substrate I will cut them away from the mother plant and remove the rock...
two-sometimes I will wait until I see a few roots forming on the baby plant and cut it away from the mother plant and plant it, I usually will leave about half to 1 inch of the shoot so I can use a rock to set on it to keep the baby plant close to the substrate so it can send root down....with some I will even get 2-4 little baby swords on a shoot coming off the mother plant...with these I wait for roots and then I cut them away from the mother plant and use rock on the connecting plantlets-once they root themselves I will cut them away from each other......

With some I have cut them away from the mother plant and let them float and they did just fine until I got around to planting them...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 03-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Thank you SOOOO much, OFL!!! TBH, I already bent & planted the first one and now a second shoot is growing. :)

Back when I ordered these and posted about them, you asked that I let you know how these small swords did. Well, now ya know!!! :)
Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Okay...I remember now...so are they staying pretty small too....you should post a new pic of them.....

My swords grow like crazy....I had this one on my bottom rack that sent out new plantletts with 4 on the shoot-it went out the top, over the sides into the tank sitting next to it...lol.....I guess it didn't want to live with mother anymore...laffs...some I will get runners that come out the bottom and other that come out the top of the mother plant......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #5 
Cravenne

I'd love a picture too...and a name if you have it. My swords are all really big and I've yet to see any babies or runners..
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Is it the ozelot sword? I bought one of those and they said it'd stay pretty small... it looks really big to me though. Look's like it's gonna dominate one half of my 5 gallon. Not that I mind too much. It really is a beautiful plant! <3

Glad yours is growing well! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

I THINK it is this one:

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...ord-parv01.htm

Will try to get pics this week-end some time. :)
Old 03-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Ah, I've got a different one. XD Your's looks really pretty! =] Can't wait to see pics! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #9 
Cravenne

That's so pretty! About how tall is it?
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
That's so pretty! About how tall is it?
Not very - maybe about 3 or 4 inches.