Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Pet store Bettas and a genetic question...

I really want to breed VT's with improved genetics and the rarer colors. So I was thinking of making red dragons by doing this (breeding chart time!)

RVT (red VT) + RDDT (red dragon delta tail) = r1 (Just what I'm ganna call these fry)

R1+R1=R2

R2+RDDT=R3

R3+RVT=R4

R4+R4=R5

R5+R5+ R6

etc. With the ocassional

R9+RDDT=R10

R10+RVT=R11

Then R11+R11 again...

Do you think that by doing that, I could get a red dragon VT line going? Or do you know how I should change it? Oh, now that I think about it... instead of doing red dragon VT's I might start with copper VT's.

And second, is it okay if I breed petstore Bettas? Almost always they have awesome Bettas around here, and I can't really afford to buy a Aquabid Betta /= Plus VT's aren't going to be on Aquabid. I will make sure they are as clean as can be and young, and test them vigorously in the pet store to see if they have any noticable deformaties.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Whatever and where ever you get your bettas is OK. If you are uncertain of their genetic flaws, wait until they are fully grown (at least 6 months) - do they show any signs of, say fin curls or other unwanted flaws. Then you can decide to breed them or not.

Your plan looks OK, as long as you realize that you'll be dealing with a lot of bettas.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #3 
baylee767

Yep, I realize this LOL.

Definatly a long term project...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #4 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Good luck on that... I've got a dragon. Got her off eBay, lol... very pretty though. I wasn't sure about the whole "get a betta fish off the internet" thing, but she was well worth the money.

If you get a semi-successful dragon out of your line of fry... may I have one? :D By then I should have another tank set up (as I want to breed as well, so more tanks is a must lol). I don't mind flaws... actually, ask any of my friends and you'd know that I love the flawful ones. Something about that kind of uniqueness... <3
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #5 
Emmalea

I think it's awesome that you want to breed really nice Vt's since you don't really see them.
But I think you might want to think about a more rare color, even if you get some dragons you are still making a lot of red Vt's which I think you might have a hard time finding homes for since there isn't really a market for them.
JMO
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote