Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #1 
LittleBettaFish

The BIG tank(s) project *PICS*

Well I got the first couple of deliveries of what is going to become my big betta fish project. I ordered some ADA substrate three months ago from a company online, and it arrived yesterday after I had given up any hope of ever seeing it.

Since I like the look of blackwater pools, and want to go with that kind of theme in my tanks, I purchased myself some ĎNatural Miracle Leafí (crushed up Ketapang leaves), 5 litres of blackwater extract, and some Betta Spa. I have also been adding naturally dried leaves Iíve found in the backyard (donít worry, I made sure they were all from aquarium safe species of trees) to make a natural leaf litter at the bottom of all my tanks.

Next week, I will be ordering an industrial grade shelving unit that can hold around 560 kilograms per shelf. Since when this project will be finished that corner of my room will be holding about half a tonne of weight, Iím sending my dad under to put some more stumps in.

Iím going to fishless cycle my 46 gallon tank with some seeded media and my ADA Africana substrate since that leeches out a fair bit of ammonia for a few weeks. Then it will eventually be turned into a South-East Asian biotope, and used to house a pair of wild bettas and a school of rasboras.

Anyways enough talking, and onto pictures!

Right now my 46 gallon is being used as a very expensive towel rack and spare tank holder.

(The tank behind it is housing a nice matched pair of DTHM I picked up from the LFS.)

Hereís my super-delta (was a halfmoon when I first saw him at the LFS) Mars, in his tank with the crushed up Ketapang leaves. They came in tea bags, but I emptied one out into a couple of my tanks to add to the leaf litter at the bottom. This is only about an hour after I added the leaves to the tank.

Heís not too sure on the whole thing. He keeps thinking the bits of leaves are food. I need to find someone that sells IAL here so I can pick up some actual leaves as well.

Hereís a picture of all my stuff. That driftwood cost a fortune, but itís hollow right the way through and I thought my fish might enjoy using it as a hide. The tanks are really nice for the price. Going to pick up another 2 footer to divide up for a possible Aquabid pair.

And finally, hereís my Siamese cat Kanika in her box. That is also her butcher paper all over the floor, oh and also, the floor and room is hers as well. Luckily, she tolerates my fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #2 
Abby

Wow its going to look GREAT! keep us updated info and LOTS of pics
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Will do. I think I will have to start wearing a fake mustache to the LFS. I'm there all the time They think I am like 14 because I get my mum to drive me there. They always look so worried when they tally up the cost of all my purchases. They checked it three times last visit before charging me.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #4 
weluvbettas

Great looking project! I want one of those shelves for all my tanks!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #5 
Abby

LOL big spender? when my barracks go up ill have room for 24 in the barracks, 8 in my 8 bay tank that is coming this week (HOPEFULLY!) and then ill be setting up one or two female sorority's.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Wow! That is gonna be great! Keep posting pics!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #7 
Sanka101

Cant wait to see it all come together! keep us posted!
Sanka101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #8 
c4talys7

I just have a question that I've been curious about for a while. The big tank says wild betta. How do you keep wild betta? Would only one be in there and does the water have to be different?

By the way I LOVE the set up! I agree please post pics of the progress!
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I'd probably be keeping a pair of either Betta Unimaculata or Betta Uberis in the bigger tank. This site has a whole list of betta species http://www.ibcbettas.org/smp/species/unimaculata.html and about the different conditions you need to keep them in.

It'll probably be a while before that part of my tank is set up. Will need to fishless cycle it first.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Well, I have finally got my shelving unit all set up and 90% of my tanks where I want them. Currently, it doesn't look all that impressive at the moment because I haven't sorted out the power cords or power packs and half the tanks are empty or hastily scaped. But at least it's up and I haven't blown anything up or had the floor fall through.

My electrician brother rigged up three extra power points in my room, while my dad went under the house and reinforced the floor so that it wouldn't buckle once everything was up. It wasn't until we got the shelving unit into place that I realised their measurements had only included the shelf itself, and not the extra 20 or so centimeters of the side uprights.

Unfortunately, it doesn't match up with the picture on the first page because I hadn't worked out the spacing between the shelves, or factored in the addition of a few more fish. There are still four more tanks in my bedroom you can't see, as well as one more in the kitchen.

At the moment none of the tanks are finished. I am on the hunt for some nice bits of eucalypt, mopani and mangrove roots for driftwood, as well as some biotope specific plants and lots and lots of hairgrass. Just need to funnel some more of my pay into my fish fund.

Top Shelf
  • Four 3.5 gallon tanks, two of which are still downstairs
  • One 9.5 gallon tank, which is going to house a pair of betta uberis or betta rutilans

2nd Shelf
  • One 16.5 gallon tank, which houses two of my female bettas
  • Two 3.5 gallon tanks, which are supposed to house a matched pair of betta males for my mum
  • One 7 gallon tank, which is where my group of Clown Killifish are going to live once I get it set up. At the moment they are in the 3.5 gallon.

Bottom Shelf
  • One 7 gallon tank, this houses my group of betta coccina, but it is eventually going to be swapped out for the same 9.5 gallon tank that is on the top shelf. If you squint at the spot near the heater, you can see one of them
  • One 46 gallon tank, this is going to house a pair of betta unimaculata as well as a school of rasboras.