Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #1 
BettaMama11

Unhappy My betta still not eating after 11 days...help =(

Hey guys....so I bought Lily 11 days ago and she still hasn't eaten...I've been offering food every day and she's not been interested in eating at all. Past couple of days noticed some silvery white specks on her head and by her gills, have been giving her Betta Fix for the past 3 days and she's definately perked up a lot...but she's still not eating...what do I do?
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Could you please fill this up for current updates?
How about pics of the specks?
Which foods were tried? You may consider adding garlic on the meaty foods to get her to eat.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #3 
brandonwlee

is she suffering from ick? can you provide some photos to help identify the cause? isolate her in a bare tank with clean water will definitely help for the first step
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #4 
BettaMama11

I apologize in advance for the large size of the photos! I have just bought a 10gallon tank that I finished setting up like 20 minutes ago, went a bit crazy at petsmart because she's so tiny but the price difference for a 5/2.5 wasn't that much. Anyways, I'm not sure what she may be suffering from....but here's the rundown on Lily:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin Color Enhancing Betta Bits, Topfin Freeze Dried worms, NutriMax Betta Color Enhancing Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? So far have offered food everyday in hopes she'll eat..

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every two days (since starting medication haven't as it says not to change until 7 days after?)

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrifin Betta Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested my water yet.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Silvery/white specks around gills and side of face also have noticed she was getting more red around her organs shall we say...towards the front of her body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? stays near the bottom of the tank isn't as curious as before...not as active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5-7days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started treatment with BettaFix and have been treating 5 days approx..
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of, bought her almost two weeks ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure...young less than a year I'd say..
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Firstly, I would stop with the Bettafix as it has been known to cause problems with the labryinth organ in bettas. What you're seeing looks to be her natural colouration. Ich looks more like grains of salt, and she would probably be showing signs of discomfort, such as scratching or listlessness.

It's good to see you've purchased a bigger tank. I would look at also getting a heater, unless you live in a place where the temperature is consistent year round. Females are very active, and mine certainly enjoy having space to swim around and explore.

As to her not eating, I have found few fish can refuse a frozen treat (such as bloodworms) wriggled around with a pair of tweezers. The smell and movement is enough to entice them to investigate, and if you try to make it appear alive, most will take a bite to see if it tastes good or not.

There's nothing wrong with a varied diet of frozen food, so long as you ensure you are not feeding enough to cause digestive problems.

I have a soft spot for females, and it will be nice to see a picture or two of her once you've gotten her settled into her new home. For not having eaten for 11 days, she still looks healthy, and I hope you can tempt her with something soon!
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #6 
Xxl3eAsTxX

yea... if any of mine didn't eat for 11 days... they'd be dead already

Others will probably say not to..... but i use Pimafix when i see white patches....
I dose it weaker than what directions say though...
Xxl3eAsTxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #7 
BettaMama11

@LittleBettaFish: Yeah I have a heater the tank temp is 78F at the moment, but I haven't started cycling it...was thinking of using shrimp like it says in the sticky...but still haven't decided. I'm a bit confused about all that stuff.

I've tried waving stuff around, but she just looks at me then looks at the food and continues on with whatever she was doing before lol!

@Xxl3eAsTxX: Pimafix...hmmm well can give it a try if she still has those white patches on her gills...thanks :) I can't believe she's made it this long without eating, she seems hungry she'll do her feed me dance and then I go to feed her and its like she forgets..so weird..

Last edited by BettaMama11; 03-04-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling mistake :(
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #8 
RiverStoneBetta

I'm not entirely sure about the white specks (I really can't see them against her light scales), so I'll talk about the fact that's she's not eating.

You just bought her and placed her in a new tank. Some fish fish bounce back from the change after a couple of hours and begin "sharking" around the tank looking for food, like Mobius did. Most take around 3-4 days to adjust to the new water parameters, like Quinn did. However, there are some, like my boy Boba, who take up to 14 days to get used to the parameters enough to begin eating. I know it seems like it's been an eternity already, but give her a bit more time. You could also try coaxing her with more natural foods, like your bloodworms rather than flakes or pellets. That seems to work on my fish anyway.

Continue treating your water with conditioners, and I agree with the posters above. Melafix, Bettafix, and Pimafix all work great, but half-dose it. In large doses, it can damage the labyrinth organ and lead to more serious problems. These medications act like an irritant, causing the body to focus on open wounds caused by bacteria, fungus, and fighting wounds. That's why it's effective as a healing agent, and most bacteria that cause infections can't handle the active ingredients in those medicines anyway.

Keep an eye on her, try to time her feedings when she's most active, and if she begins scratching on anything in the tank, take pictures and tell someone on here.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #9 
brandonwlee

your betta looks fine to me. try asking the fish shop owner where you bought her the food they are feeding her and try to get the same food to try out. I've seen choosy bettas that only eat life foods and reject pellets and flake food. this may be caused by some bettas that grow up with live food supply fed to them only and they are used to it. if that's the case, you can use live foods like tubifex, or change their food gradually by mixing with pellets time to time.
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

I agree, there is nothing physically wrong with that beautiful betta that I can see! :) Gorgeous marble double ray CT female. :) Try getting a few more different kinds of food, because bettas loooove variety, and I was able to get my female to eat 20 minutes after setting her up in her new home with some tetra freeze dried bloodworms. Actually it was only about an hour after bringing her home from the store! Don't give up, she'll eat eventually. :) Good luck with her, she's so beautiful!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote