Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Wisteria question

My wisteria keeps floating up to the top of my water...it wont stay in the sand.

How do I keep it down? can I rubberband it to a pebble like anacharis?
Does anyone have any tips of keeping wisteria alive and healthy?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #2 
Malvolti

Yes you can, although it may be too delicate for a rubberband. I prefer Kitchen string or fishing line.

I personally prefer my wisteria floating. It thrives in my tank at the top and all the tank inhabitants love it that way.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

I let mine float also - LOVE it that way & the roots hanging down are AWESOME, IMO!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

thanks, I never really thought about just letting them float...

Maybe I will try that with a few of them and see if I like them floating.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #5 
Cravenne

Mine is planted. Now and then some pieces come out of the gravel and I just shove them back in..I made a little 'hill' towards the back of the tank so the pieces would remain rooted.
You could definitely weight it down with something if you wanted. Just don't tie the string or whatever too tightly on the stem..

I've found it's an easy plant to care for. Seems to do better in my smaller tanks, likely because the light is closer and reaches the bottom. I don't add any ferts to my smaller tanks either and it grows like crazy. I'm always thinning it out.
It's one of my favourite plants, actually.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I'm really looking forward to the wisteria. I hope it fills in nicely. I plan on taking the cuttings and filling up my 5 gallon nicely eventually. I use mostly natural light for my 10g because it is close to a window, so hopefully it will be ok for the wisteria..
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #7 
LisaLB24

I leave mine floating in one tank and prefer it that way, but I have made plant holders for my other tank. I cut out the side of a milk jug (wash well in really hot water!) and cut out little 1X1 inch squares. Then I made a little X in the middle of each one. I pushed a pencil through the X first to enlarge the hole a bit because they are pretty delicate plants, and then just slide the stem through. Put this disk under the gravel and it will hold the plant in place until plenty of good roots grow in. The only thing I would do differently is to cut the disks in circles instead of squares. Every once in a while a corner of the plastic will work it's way through the gravel and I worry about my cories getting scratched.
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #8 
Cravenne

In my experience, you'll have plenty of clippings..no worries!
Actually, it kind of propogates itself..you'll see roots starting to form and then a large chunks breaks off for you to replant.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLB24 View Post
I leave mine floating in one tank and prefer it that way, but I have made plant holders for my other tank. I cut out the side of a milk jug (wash well in really hot water!) and cut out little 1X1 inch squares. Then I made a little X in the middle of each one. I pushed a pencil through the X first to enlarge the hole a bit because they are pretty delicate plants, and then just slide the stem through. Put this disk under the gravel and it will hold the plant in place until plenty of good roots grow in. The only thing I would do differently is to cut the disks in circles instead of squares. Every once in a while a corner of the plastic will work it's way through the gravel and I worry about my cories getting scratched.
That is a cool idea!