Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #11 
rue721

Thanks for the support, BettaMama11.

I know I'm freaking out too much and that it's out of my hands now, but I'm really attached to Henry and I really want him to be OK.

Thanks for putting up with the craziness. Seriously, starting tomorrow it's only 50% water changes for him, from now on.
rue721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #12 
BettaMama11

you're welcome! Its ok to be crazy about Henry, I know about being crazy and freaking out I've had to deal with my betta not eating for two weeks until today, so I totally get the freaking/craziness!

I hope Henry is ok too, I'm sure he will be..make sure you give us an update! :)
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #13 
rue721

How can I acclimatize him to the warm tank water, now that he's been sitting in this cold tupperwear for so long?!

I just had a huge trauma with him--tried to get him into the cup again, ended up dropping the cup--with him half in it--back into his tupperwear. Then I tried putting his heater in the tupperwear. Knocked into him, freaked him out.

This is just going to make him sicker!

How do I get him into his tank again without him going into temperature shock?!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #14 
BettaMama11

=( sorry to hear that, is there a way you could float his cup in the tank for a little while? or...do you have a way to see the temp difference between the tupperwear and the tank? You could always try a lamp over him to warm him up slowly? If there's a drastic difference in the temp then he would probably go into shock, but maybe one or two degrees difference might be ok...??

Last edited by BettaMama11; 03-09-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #15 
rue721

Update:

The tupperware I was keeping Henry in during the water change was too long to fit through the top of the tank, and my attempts to put him in a smaller cup were horrifying. So finally I just put my spaceheater close to the tupperware and let it run for half an hour. By that point, Henry was already so shaken up that when I would move the spaceheater to face the other side of the container, he'd freak out. He was moving more though, so that made me a little more at ease.

Anyway, so when the tank got down to about 84, I dipped my finger in it, then dipped a finger in Henry's tupperware...they weren't TOO off. So I dumped him in the tank.

He seems fine so far. Really relieved to be back in his tank. As soon as he got in, he seemed to relax a lot. Maybe he thought he wasn't going to get his territory back again? He's sort of zooming around now, but I think it's nerves more than anything. He doesn't look frantic (so much as on edge), and he's not gasping or trying to jump or anything. When I go near the tank he comes to greet me, but he doesn't wriggle or act happy as usual--I think he's still pretty scared.

Tomorrow I'll do a 50% WC. Like I said, no more 100% WCs, ever! That was just too rough on everybody. I think Henry got hit a couple times when I was trying to move him, the tupperware freaks him out because of the reflection (he NEVER flares all the way, and he did a HUGE flare while he was in there. I think he thought he was being attacked from all sides), and I'm just too nervous about shocking him with all the changes in water temp/quality/condition. Plus, up until today he would just swim happily into the net--but after tonight's debacle I don't think that'll be happening any time soon.

Jeeeeeeeeeez. Thanks, BettaMama11, for talking me through it :)
Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #16 
BettaMama11

Your welcome, I'm just glad to hear that he's doing much better, I think he might get better over time as you do more water changes and gets used to it, and realizes "i will be back in my tank soon". But its good that he's greeting you, he'll settle back in =) and get back to his normal happy wiggly self (",)
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #17 
Abby

WHOA!
OK: never heat water to disolve stuff, always disolve salts in water out side tank, if ur doing a water change makesure the salts etc are disolved into water BEFORE putting in tank

NEVER put ice in your tank, its water thats now laced with the gas that freezes it in the freezer plus if its tap water its got your chlorines etc in it

if your doing 100% ALWAYS scoop him out a container of old water to leave him in and then when the tanks new waters in it acclimatise him by floating in the cup as you would when first getting him (adding fresh tank water to his container a little at a time ever 5 minutes or so for 15-30 minutes till you hae about the same ammount you started him in the container with...i need to go back and read more of the thread to see what else i can help with

Last edited by Abby; 03-09-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #18 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rue721 View Post
How can I acclimatize him to the warm tank water, now that he's been sitting in this cold tupperwear for so long?!

I just had a huge trauma with him--tried to get him into the cup again, ended up dropping the cup--with him half in it--back into his tupperwear. Then I tried putting his heater in the tupperwear. Knocked into him, freaked him out.

This is just going to make him sicker!

How do I get him into his tank again without him going into temperature shock?!

Just slow things down a little theres no rush, rushing only scared him out, and then freaks you out, hes not in any danger in sitting a little longer out of his tank in a container while you finish the tank

Last edited by Abby; 03-09-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #19 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rue721 View Post
USo finally I just put my spaceheater close to the tupperware and let it run for half an hour. By that point, Henry was already so shaken up that when I would move the spaceheater to face the other side of the container, he'd freak out. He was moving more though, so that made me a little more at ease.
you ran your heater out of water next to the container? this isnt good for them.

Anyway, so when the tank got down to about 84, I dipped my finger in it, then dipped a finger in Henry's tupperware...they weren't TOO off. So I dumped him in the tank.
never "dump" them into the tank without acclimatisation it can send them in to shock if the temps different, to you t may not seem like it but to them it could be

He seems fine so far. Really relieved to be back in his tank. As soon as he got in, he seemed to relax a lot. Maybe he thought he wasn't going to get his territory back again? He's sort of zooming around now, but I think it's nerves more than anything. He doesn't look frantic (so much as on edge), and he's not gasping or trying to jump or anything. When I go near the tank he comes to greet me, but he doesn't wriggle or act happy as usual--I think he's still pretty scared.

Tomorrow I'll do a 50% WC. Like I said, no more 100% WCs, ever! That was just too rough on everybody. I think Henry got hit a couple times when I was trying to move him, the tupperware freaks him out because of the reflection (he NEVER flares all the way, and he did a HUGE flare while he was in there. I think he thought he was being attacked from all sides), and I'm just too nervous about shocking him with all the changes in water temp/quality/condition. Plus, up until today he would just swim happily into the net--but after tonight's debacle I don't think that'll be happening any time soon.
you sound like your trying to rush the job, slow and steady is best, He would e ok left in the tupperewear a little longer no need to rush everything
Jeeeeeeeeeez. Thanks, BettaMama11, for talking me through it :)

clean water is best for fin regrowth My lexi was a mess when i got her but shes back to 95% with only daily water changes no medication (i didt have any at the time) Im now regrowing Agent 11's fins from bennys attack, melvins dorsal and all bennys fins are in the regrowth stages too, so trust me a little paitence and a few extra minutes of care wont hurt the fish for you to take your time with waterchanges. if you rush you could forget something.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #20 
rue721

Thanks, Abby.

I put him in a tupperware with his old water while I was cleaning the tank, but it took so long to get his tank water down to a reasonable temperature that the tupperware started getting really cold. Altogether, trying to change his water last night took three hours.

I couldn't get Henry into another container (like his cup) because he was terrified of the net and I couldn't get him directly in the cup. I'm just not experienced at catching fish and it was a total disaster. The tupperware itself was too big to float in the tank. Since I couldn't get him out of the tupperware without putting him directly in the tank, I tried to heat the tupperware water--but the tank heater was too big to fit in the tupperware, so I couldn't use it (never turned it on). I ended up heating that tupperware water by putting it by my spaceheater, until I'd heated the tupperware as much as I thought was safe and the water was feeling basically the same as the tank water. Then I just poured him from the tupperware into the tank. Honestly, I don't know what else I could have done, once I'd made the tank water too hot.

As for the new water--I mixed it and dissolved the medicine, salt, and dechlorinator in a bucket before adding it to the tank. It didn't feel incredibly hot to me, but the tank's thermometer said it was above 100*F! Meanwhile, in the tupperware, Henry was thrashing around like I've never seen a fish do in my life. I won't put ice in his tank again...but GOD, I'm also never taking him out of that tank again. He's just going to have to get a ton of partial water changes.

Even today, he seems like he's a mess. He's swimming around, coming to me, ate normally--I don't think he's in danger of *dying* anymore. But he definitely doesn't seem like himself, either. His swimming is choppy-looking and he's hiding out a lot. He seems super on edge. I'm scared I did real damage to him.

The filter's back on. I don't know what else to do for him.