Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #21 
Abby

ok key point to remember Patience.

1. netting freaked out fish is hard, my pippin lept out of his net and only fell a few inches, i have these tiny containers i got for fry when i breed (mine u i need MORE because they get used for everything fish related) that fit in my bays easily

2. becareful he doesnt tear his fins on the net.

3. always let the water come to the fish's water dont heat his water to match te tank that will stress him out

4. my tank maintenance works like this: i dont do 100% water changes at all (if it required it woud be a different matter)
ok this is how todays water change will go:

my 6 bag (dividers all out) holding 4 girls has had pump drama that i didnt realize till tonight but the waters turned a little stagnate since last weeks water change, so today i need to test ammonia levels then remove the slimy heater and clean it, remove the stagnant water and if the ammonia levels are up at all i will be doing a 75% water change, i now use RO water (lab grade filtered water with minerals added back into it) so ill top up today with that, and do another water chan in two days to get the RO water into the tank.

it will tank maybe half hour.

there isnt a big deal with siphoning water out into a bucket you can catch your fish to prevent him getting sucked in, put two pellets in the water when he comes to eat them scoop him out and cup him or container him, give him a pellet or treat.

Agent 11 was QTed 2 days ago for fin damage treatment and went NUTS when he was netted and cupped for acclimatisation to new tank and then proceeded to go nuts. but hes fine now he settled quickly

they do stress but because they are scared not because they dont think they are getting their territory back, fast move ments, sloshing the containers etc will scare them, slow and gentle is the way to go.

sorry for the typos

Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #22 
rue721

Oh, I just wanted to update that since turning the filter back on, it's completely taken the medicine out of the water (the medicine had turned the water blue-ish, but it's clear now), and Henry seems MUCH more comfortable.

He really likes the filter. I think I'm just going to keep it on for him from now on, regardless of the fin rot. And won't add any more medicine in.

So today, should I be giving him a 50% change, and then doing that every day until he's better and the fins are re-growing? Or should I be doing a 30% change (about 1 gal) every day (instead of a 50%) to keep him more comfortable/less stressed?

When I do treat the new water, should I only use dechlorinator on it, and not add any more salt? Also, how do I keep the temp in the tank constant as I do a partial change?
rue721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #23 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rue721 View Post
Oh, I just wanted to update that since turning the filter back on, it's completely taken the medicine out of the water (the medicine had turned the water blue-ish, but it's clear now), and Henry seems MUCH more comfortable.

He really likes the filter. I think I'm just going to keep it on for him from now on, regardless of the fin rot. And won't add any more medicine in.

So today, should I be giving him a 50% change, and then doing that every day until he's better and the fins are re-growing? Or should I be doing a 30% change (about 1 gal) every day (instead of a 50%) to keep him more comfortable/less stressed?

When I do treat the new water, should I only use dechlorinator on it, and not add any more salt? Also, how do I keep the temp in the tank constant as I do a partial change?
here is what i would do:
turn off filter
get a small plastic container THAT WILL FIT in your tank and scoop in some water from tank(or buy one ASAP)
drop a pellet in and net fish leave net in the tank and let him settle and stop thrashing
slowly move the net out of the water letting him stop thrasting, cover top with your hand and put net into container to release him
(i find if i put all net in the container theres less chance fish will leap out of net and miss container)
siphon 25-50% water
add prep fresh water with water conditioner, and the correct dose of salt (i would salt it at least two days to prevent infection)
add new water (NOT Hotter then luke warm) when its added to the tank water it will mix with it, usually i pour water over plants or in your case ornaments, to prevent disturbing the gravel
float fish adding a little tank water every 5-10 minutes for half hr and then add fish.

OH good idea:
IF YOU DONT HAVE A CONTAINER. USE A LARGE LUNCH BAG AS IF IT WERE A BAGED FISH COMING HOME FROM SHOP (in a bag)

Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #24 
rue721

Thanks, Abby, for the step-by-step directions.

That's a good idea about the lunchbag. I'm going to use one of those thick Ziplock bags to house Henry during the water change so I can float him in the new water to reclimatize him. And I guess he'll get his first taste of bloodworms while in the net...

Ok, so is this right?
1. Mix 1.5 gal (50% of the size of his tank) lukewarm tap water with 1.5 tsp salt and 11 drops dechlorinator. Wait an hour while the chemicals dissolve/evaporate/etc.
2. Fill a ziplock bag with Henry's tank-water. Turn off his filter and heater.
3. Put re-hydrated bloodworms (mine are freeze-dried) in a net. Let Henry swim to them and eat them. While he's eating, scoop him up and put him in the tank-water-filled ziplock bag. *How is the ziplock not falling over and getting water everywhere, etc? When I got him from the store he was in a cup.*
4. Siphon half the tank's water. Pour in the new water.
5. Scrub off the ornaments/walls a little. Rinse the filter cartridge.
6. Turn the filter and heater back on. Let the tank get back up to an appropriate temp (high 70s/low 80s*F).
7. Float Henry in the new water for 15-20 mins.
8. Let him back out into his tank.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #25 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rue721 View Post
Thanks, Abby, for the step-by-step directions.

That's a good idea about the lunchbag. I'm going to use one of those thick Ziplock bags to house Henry during the water change so I can float him in the new water to reclimatize him. And I guess he'll get his first taste of bloodworms while in the net...

Ok, so is this right?
1. Mix 1.5 gal (50% of the size of his tank) lukewarm tap water with 1.5 tsp salt and 11 drops dechlorinator. Wait an hour while the chemicals dissolve/evaporate/etc.

as long as that is the correct dose for your ammount of water, i dont leave water to "wait" but ive just started using an expensive lab grade water filter
2. Fill a ziplock bag with Henry's tank-water. Turn off his filter and heater.
only need enough water to cover him and a little more ie:
_
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
_ he will be ok in about that much water while ur cleaning the tank, i normally leave fish in tank unless im doing a major clean, most people cup fish while siphoning as if you look away for just a second you could (and its happened) suck a fish up

3. Put re-hydrated bloodworms (mine are freeze-dried) in a net.
just drop the worm in the water wait for him to approach scoop net underhim while hes eating and wait till hes eaten it to lift out of the water
Let Henry swim to them and eat them. While he's eating, scoop him up and put him in the tank-water-filled ziplock bag. *How is the ziplock not falling over and getting water everywhere, etc? When I got him from the store he was in a cup.*
leave room for air to be trapped inside the bad and seal it, stand the bag in a container

4. Siphon half the tank's water. Pour in the new water.
5. Scrub off the ornaments/walls a little. Rinse the filter cartridge.

I would give a quick scrub before siphoning water that way you can take anything yuck out of the water while siphoning it

6. Turn the filter and heater back on. Let the tank get back up to an appropriate temp (high 70s/low 80s*F).
7. Float Henry in the new water for 15-20 mins.
add a little water every five minutes or so over half hour till you have doubed the amount of water you took out of the tank in the bag to begin with
8. Let him back out into his tank.
hope this helps
Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #26 
PewPewPew

Do not allow any of the nasty water from before the change back into the tank.

You also dont need to feed him to do a water change, and I suggest you do not use a freeze dried bloodworm each time to coax him- Id say one a week is fine, but more and youre risking bloat. Get him nice and hungry instead and drop in a pellet.

Heck, I dont even need to coax them, just nab 'em when theyre at the top. It doesnt need to be this complicated. You can also siphon some of the water out, so long as it wont suck up your fish, so that its easier to catch him.

Do not use salt for more than 10 days at a time, and only use when needed to prevent kidney damage, amongst other things.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #27 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
NEVER put ice in your tank, its water thats now laced with the gas that freezes it in the freezer plus if its tap water its got your chlorines etc in it
I dont think it'd be all that bad. Really, I dont. I wouldnt make a habit of it, but to be honest, an ice cube in your tank isnt going to kill your fish. lol

Never put them in with him, and instead just use really cold water, then add the needed dechloinator once you do. Do not do this while the fish is in the takn, either. Too cold too much too soon.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #28 
rue721

Ok, so I gave Henry a 100% WC last night and it was a horror show. I was about to give him a 50% change right now, but he doesn't seem back to his old self. He's still twitchy and nervous, and just not happy.

BUT his tail also looks worse. I don't know what to do.

Judging by his picture, how is he doing?! What stage is his fin rot? It gets worse every day, no matter what I do.

So far this week, I did a 100%WC on Saturday, and a 100% on Tuesday (yesterday). The random water spots, etc, that you can see are just on the outside of the tank, which I haven't really been fussing with seeing as I'm stressing over the cleanliness of the inside so much, lol.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #29 
rue721

You can maybe see more in this picture.

He doesn't look very happy, does he?!
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #30 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I dont think it'd be all that bad. Really, I dont. I wouldnt make a habit of it, but to be honest, an ice cube in your tank isnt going to kill your fish. lol

Not a risk i'd want to take anyway, i put ice in ziplock bags if my tank temps get too high and float it.