Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #1 
briser

Angry Another pet store rant...

I am really not impressed at all with our local pet store. The closest one to me is a Pet's Unlimited. When I bought my first betta last month (well, my first since I was a kid) The clerk sold me a .5 gal tank, and told me to feed the betta four blood worms a day and that's all I needed. (They also have signs by the bettas that say blood worms are a healthy diet for bettas and that's all you need to feed them.)
After coming home that day and doing research I felt terrible and went out the next day and bought proper food. (He was already constipated from the four I fed him that day though :\)
Since then, I have two males (going in a 5.5 divided, heated, filtered tank on my birthday Wednesday! ) and a female in a 3 gal heated and filtered tank.

My sister wanted a betta for my niece's 8th birthday so I wrote down all the things she needed and sent her off to the pet store.. She comes home with a 3 gal (good), plants and a big ship with hidey holes (great), gravel and a thermometer....
I asked why she didn't get the things on the list and she said "The pet store guy said they didn't need a heater and not to buy one and he said they didn't need a filter and I didn't get a gravel siphon because he said you only need to change the water once every three weeks."
I looked up the heater stuff online for her and told her and explained all the things about bettas and how they are tropical fish and NEED heaters and she gave me the money and I went out and bought a heater that same day and bought some nice pellets.

I am so furious that the pet store workers are so not educated.. I really need a job and I am thinking on applying to the pet store for work. If I can save a few fish from a horrible life, it would be worth the 25 minute drive to get there.

Sorry for the storybook..
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #2 
Luimeril

pet store people are like that. makes me think they WANT your fish to die, which isn't cool. i'm glad you bought her a heater. x-X
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #3 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
pet store people are like that. makes me think they WANT your fish to die...
Yeah... no kidding... >.>

I'm glad you were there to save the day!
I purchased some frozen food at the pet store recently and the cashier asked me what I was feeding. I told him betta fish. He asked me how long I've had mine and I told him since 2009 and he said "Oh, I didn't realize they lived that long! My sister had one in one of those 1/2 gallon bowls, but he only lived for a couple of months." ....
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #4 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
pet store people are like that. makes me think they WANT your fish to die, which isn't cool. i'm glad you bought her a heater. x-X

You see Luimeril, ur fish dies, u go back and buy another....any unsuspecting person would return to the same store. thus getting them more money.

im glad ONE of the lfs knows SOMETHING about bettas, although i correct the other store a bit :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #5 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
You see Luimeril, ur fish dies, u go back and buy another....any unsuspecting person would return to the same store. thus getting them more money.
Ew... that's such a dirty thought. *shudders*
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #6 
Abby

but its how they make their money
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #7 
TaylorW

I wanted to work at a pet store so that I could educate people about the animals they were buying and sell them to good homes. Then I found out that my local pet store has a "quota" of animals that each employee has to sell that week or they get fired -___-

I feel like sometimes the pet store employees are forced to tell you bad information if they want to keep their jobs :/
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #8 
BlackberryBetta

I am so upset with my local petsmart! Usually their bettas are respectively clean and well taken care of, but when I went a few days ago to look at some supplies, I was horrified. They couldn't even swim because their cup was so dirty and they were so sick. I felt horrible. I wanted to take one home to nurse back to health, but I know my mom wouldn't want to spend money on one from that store. I am soooo mad at the stupid people who don't even know how to take care of fish!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #9 
TwilightNite

That is awful! They could at least clean those
cups. It is bad enough that they have to live in
terrible tiny cups anyhow.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 
BlackberryBetta

Ya I know, right? They keep some of them in those little Dixie Cups! :(
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote