Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #1 
laughing

Help with tank! Many questions, be warned, I'm new to bettas!

I'm really considering getting a betta. I just purchased a 20 gallon yesterday for my other fish, but it's now full. (5 balloon mollies, 1 GlowFish, going to add 2 more Glows for the first.) I have a 5-7 gallon as well but this will most likely house the fry of the mollies/glows...

I'm considering purchasing a whole new tank. It'd be easy just to put up a divider into the 7 gal, but I'd hate to constantly switch the betta's tank mates and keep putting the divider in there every few weeks, sounds way to stress inducing. I would enjoy a full gallon or two, but would 1/2 gallon work for a single male? Something like this... (w/ divider removed.)

http://www.petco.com/product/113406/...t-in-Blue.aspx

I know I'd upgrade eventually.

DECORATIONS!

Sand vs. Gravel?
-I like the look of gravel, but I'm enjoying the idea of sand. I might not get a filter and just change the water every couple of days, but if I go for the filter how would I protect it from the sand? Which do bettas prefer more?

Filter vs. No Filter?
-I'm very into my fish keeping and OCD about water conditions. Everyone says bettas are hardy fish, but I would still not mind changing the water every couple of days. If that's too often, I already do weekly water changes for the other fish and I could just clean his bowl then. Or does the filter make ALL the difference?

Cheap decorations?
-I've seen some creative ideas on here, so what are some cheap decorations. I just saw the one with shot glasses, that was cool. What is poisonous that I should stay away from??

Thank you!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #2 
laughing

OH, to add, I de-chlorinate all my water, keep all my nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and pH levels steady and I test my water levels weekly and sometimes twice a week. I have a thermometer and my other tank stays steady. I don't use heaters because I live in very warm climate and it would be pointless; in the nights of winter the tank water never gets below 76 degrees.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #3 
badfish123

I suggest Gravel. Sand will just be hard to clean. Unless you add some Shrimp. A small filter would be nice. I think anything that you think might be poisoned is removed. Also make sure that there isnt sharp points. Or else the tail might rip.
Posted via Mobile Device
badfish123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Bettas really are happier in 2+ gallons. I wouldn't get anything smaller than 1 gallon. I would get a critter keeper instead of the aqueon betta bowl and a heater.. Some critter keepers go up to 3 gallons. I prefer sand but gravel can be just as nice, it really is just whichever you prefer. Sand is pretty easy to clean it just needs to be rinsed first. I usually pick up anything on top of my sand with a bulb syringe or my airline tubing hovered a few inches above the sand during water changes.I think sand is nice because any debris stays on top of the sand instead of falling in between the gravel rocks, in this way I think sand is easier to keep clean. I wouldn't personally use sand on a tank smaller than 1 gallon that needed 100% water changes.I think it would get annoying kicking up all the sand every other day.

As far as cheap decorations, you can use coffee mugs, terracotta pots (bottom hole sealed). I took a terracotta pot and hit the bottom with a little hammer until all that was left was the top ring of the pot... then I covered it with java moss. My fish loves to swim through it.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

Here's a really good thread to read if you haven't already. It covers a lot of what you are asking.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #6 
laughing

Canuck-I'm reading a lot of those posts! I'm learning quite a lot.

And many of them say require a heater no matter what. The only reason I don't find it necessary is because I have other tropical fish and their temperature is ALWAYS consistent. I have very warm weather here year round and the houses/apartments never have fluctuating temperatures even without air conditioners/heaters running. It's a nice place to be owning tropical fish! If for some reason I notice water temperature changes (for as long as I've had fish the water temps have always been around 78) that are low, I will then definitely buy a heater no questions asked!

There are so many helpful stickies and posts and such. You guys are all so helpful, I like the pots and mugs ideas. I think I'll look more into harmful colorings and chemicals then just go by the dollar store or something to purchase some fun stuff!

I definitely will try the sand. I think I'm going to go for a full gallon for now, and do just a small filter that I'll most likely have to make a softer flow for it... But using the sand I definitely do NOT want to deal with that daily! LOL! Heck, maybe I'll just do 50% water changes every two days w/o a filter... I'll figure it out! ;)

Who knows, I might just keep a permanent divider in the 7 gallon to house one betta and the other side be for my fry and pregnant girls.

I know this is random, but where is a good place to purchase one? I hate the care of bettas at PetSmart and Petco and they're often sickly around my area, and I've heard autobid is really nasty... So where should I look??
Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #7 
laughing

http://www.petco.com/product/114820/...arium-Kit.aspx

Considering this tank... full gallon, still not much, but eh it'll get me somewhere!(:

(I don't want a 3 gallon or something b/c within a few months I'll be purchasing a 50-60 gallon which may leave the 20 completely empty to house the betta with some other fish. I want to formalize plans more before I go larger!)