Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #1 
sharka91

Exclamation My betta is floating and his face is pale.

Please help! my betta is floating uncontrollably and he really tries to swim down but he keeps floating up. his face has also gotten pale just today and it keeps changing back and forth from dark to pale. he may have eaten too much today which is why his swim bladder's acting up so i read that i shouldnt feed him for a bit, but the face is whats getting me worried. should i be worried? please help!
sharka91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #2 
BettaFriend15

Post Sounds like swim bladder...

Sounds like swim bladder, i'm new but my girl just recovered recently from it, today actually. Anyway if it is swim bladder you just need to isolate him so he doesn't get attacked by other fish while he's down then fast him for a few days after a few days and he still isn't himself feed him a little bit a shelled cooked peas really tiny bits (that's what i did). As for the pale face fish normally pale out when their stressed i can only imagine how scary and stressfull it must be to float and not be able to take controll of your own body so maybe that's it if not i'm very sorry i hope your little friend get's back on his feet (or fins, haha) soon
Good Luck
BettaFriend15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #3 
BettaFriend15

Sorry didn't read the whole thing i was in a hurry but wanted to help so yeah would say it's just the food making him like it, what do you feed him? any treats, bloodworms or something? if you do i would cut down a bit but if not just try fasting, again
Good Luck.
BettaFriend15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #4 
sharka91

I feed him bettamin fish flakes once in a while for color but mostly i just feed him a couple floating pellets a day for this very reason. he eats like a litlle piranha. he's not pale anymore today. i'll keep him off food for a bit but if this continues, i'll go with the cooked peas.
sharka91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Fast him for at least 3 days. His face could be pale for many reasons.

Please answer these asap.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Your post is in the wrong section..

If your tank is under 1 gallon and you dont clean it each day, he is probably ill from poor water.

When these are answered, we may be better able to help.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #6 
Panthera

Yeah it sounds like Swim Bladder Disorder. This can be caused by constipation, or by a bacterial disease. Does he look bloated at all? If so, then as BettaFriend15 said; it's best to fast him for about 3 days. Don't worry, betta's can go 3 weeks without food and survive. Also if you have epsom salt, add about a teaspoon per gallon depending on what size tank he is. This will help clean out his system. Also a de-shelled pea will work, just feed a bit tho, not much.

If its not better in 3 days with these treatments and daily water changes, it could be bacterial, which in this case I would buy Maracyn and Maracyn II. They have these at Petsmart, not sure if Petco carries it. Follow the directions on the box and keep up with the treatment for a week-10 days. Hopefully its not bacterial, but if it is, good luck. I've had 3 fish with SBD and they're all recovered now.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

DO NOT FEED THE PEAS.

This is not a good idea, sharka and bettafriend.

DO NOT FEED THESE.

Fast the fish- dont be lazy, just wait a few days.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 
Panthera

Peas have no harmful effect on the betta, if he is bloated and constipated this well help his digestive track flow and clear him out. Its not like he'll die from eating a bit of pea.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

No, on the contrary, this treatment is controversial, especially if you do it wrong.

Peas are not in their natural diet, and if not prepared correctly or given too much to a stressed system, it might and likley will do more harm than good.

Just fast it.

Urgh.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #10 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
No, on the contrary, this treatment is controversial, especially if you do it wrong.

Peas are not in their natural diet, and if not prepared correctly or given too much to a stressed system, it might and likley will do more harm than good.

Just fast it.

Urgh.
I agree, and I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Fasting him is the best way to flush out his system.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote