Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 
ESalvi

My fish "Red" is not looking so great :(

My betta Red has been a great fish with no problems for the last year, and just today, his color changed DRAMATICALLY and his fins look like they, all the sudden out of nowhere, have fin rot. The fins look jagged, and they also look transparent. He is a deep red betta with lots of color. He seems to be turning yellow. He also wont eat. I have done nothing different with his care except one thing... I went away this weekend and my father fed my fish while i was gone. Red usually eats a few blood worms and some flakes every day. A while ago, i bought a product called Aqua Select freeze dried Tubifex worm cubes. I gave it to him once, but he ignored them, so i never gave it to him again. Anyway, while i was away, apparently i ran out of bloodworms so my dad gave Red a cube of the tubifex. I was only away two nights, so he did not give it to him more than once. Im not sure if this is the problem, but it was such a dramatic change that i cant think of anything else.
a couple details:
hes in a 3 gallon bowl, temp is 81 degrees, i cleaned his bowl yesterday and added a teaspoon of aquarium salt as i always do, plus conditioner. He did not yesterday nor today at all. He doesnt seem to be skittish and is not rubbing up against the rocks or his aquarium decoration. He seems to just be hanging out at the top of the water line in a vertical position and taking breaths when he needs to. i posted before and after pics below. They dont show much detail... its hard to get a good picture with my iphone. Please help if you can!! i love my fish and am very worried.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

You cant see the transparency of his fins, but they almost look clear.. the best way i can describe them is it looks like the skeleton of a leaf, if that makes any sense to anyone.
ESalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 
ESalvi

One more detail: this morning, i was worried so i went out to petco and the guy there recommended this:
http://www.petco.com/product/102424/...4-_-image_link

I think im going to try it, i just am worried about putting something in there that hes not used to and making things worse.. especially if i dont know whats wrong with him.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

What a gorgeous fish! Sorry to hear you are having issues. (Leaf skeleton makes sense to me. Good description.)

Yellow makes me think it's a liver issue, but I don't know how you treat that. It does sound like the worms are the problm though. I'm sure someone else here will have some ideas for treatment.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #4 
ESalvi

Thanks, he really is so pretty and such a great fish. Ive only had him a year! I really dont want to lose him. im so sad. Liver problem sounds plausible though, since he is turning yellow. im wondering if i should put a drop of this betta revive i bought in there before it gets too late. I guess it couldnt hurt. I just dont want to shock him with any changes.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...a few questions...

In the 3gal tank...how much and how often are the water changes other than the one you just did, filter, live plants, additives used, any tank mates....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #6 
ESalvi

i do 50% water changes once a week, and then 100% changes on the weekend. His bowl is pretty small, so its necessary to change it a little more often than normal. he has one little "bridge" decoration that he likes to hide under. I used to put a little plant in there for him, but i didnt want him to be crowded, so i stopped with the live plants months ago.. its just him and his bridge and he seem(ed) very happy. he has no tank mates.. and his tank it heated with a tiny base heater that lays under his rocks which seems to keep his water at the same temp all the time.. so i dont think thats the problem.
I got a better pic of his fins and color (sort of). Sorry for the blurriness.. its hard to get close to him without my camera going out of focus:

he looks so horrible :(
and now hes starting to float on his side.
i took your advice from last time when i thought my fish might be having problems and i added a little epsom salt - for some reason epsom salt seems to be a miracle worker for my fish. every time they seem a little "off" i just add a little of the ES and they are fine in a half hour.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #7 
ESalvi

sorry - also about the additives.. i usually add aquarium salt unless i add the epsom if they seem to be having bowel issues. and i use a standard water conditioner. i also do not use a filter

also, i dont know if you saw before but i added a few minutes ago a product called betta revive that i bought at the store this morning.

http://www.petco.com/product/102424/...4-_-image_link

im starting to think that maybe there is too much going on in his bowl right now, with the aquarium salt and the fact that i added a little epsom and now the antibiotics. should i do another water change and keep the additives minimal?

Last edited by ESalvi; 03-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #8 
Thunderloon

he's been poisoned by something, could be the tubifex.

If he's not had water change I'd say take him into a carefully prepared quarantine container and work on him in that.
Avoid epsom salt, it puts a mild load on the kidney and what I'm seeing is a blood sickness.

(poisoning can result in drastic suppression of immune system)
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #9 
ESalvi

he actually died :( it was such a rapid decline out of nowhere.. he was totally fine the day before. so sad. he was a great fish :(
Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #10 
Canuck Fins

I'm sorry you lost Red.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote