Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #1 
TNBETTA

my betta likes algea wafers

I got my betta Goliath a friend. An otto. They are really doing well together. Goliath even made his first bubble nest!

My problem is I put an algea waffer in the tank and Goliath seems to think it is a BIG cookie for him. He got so big I thought he was going to burst.

So my question is how do I feed my otto? It is a 5 gallon hex and I have had it set up for almost 3 months. It sits in front of a window so there is some algea but I am afraid it won't be enough.
TNBETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

For starters 5gal is not big enough for a proper group of ottos since they are social fish and do best in groups of at the very least 3...five or more even better in at least 20gal tank that is heavy planted and mature...its more in the line of thriving-vs-surviving.....

And to add-5gal is only big enough to support 1 Betta and some shrimp and/or snails...no other fish species....

As far as the algae wafer-you don't want the Betta to eat to much of it as it can cause bloat with some Bettas more due to the fact they try to eat it all...little piggies...lol......you may try adding the wafer an hour after lights outs and cover the tank with something so it is pretty dark-I would also break the wafer in fourths and only fed that amount 2-3 times a week until you get the ottos re-homed or a bigger tank......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 
Malvolti

For starters Otos, like most Dwarf catfish, prefer groups of 3+. Otos CAN live alone but they won't be happy and can die of loneliness.

Also Otos should have tanks of about 20+ gallons, they have voracious appetites and smaller tanks can't support their dietary or community needs. Some places say they can live alon in 5 gallons but I'll emphasize the difference between CAN and SHOULD. For example I CAN live in a small closet and only eat a slice of bread and drink a glass of water a day but I won't be happy or healthy or live very long.

As for food you can try boiled organic spinach,lettuce,carrot,cucumber. You can also try breaking up the wafer and putting different pieces in different places so the betta can't find them all. Some otos are nocturnal so you can try feeding at night when the lights go out.

Edit: OFL Beat me to it.

Last edited by Malvolti; 03-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #4 
TNBETTA

Thank you both for your advice.
TNBETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #5 
cornflakegirl

betta friend?

I just moved my siamese fighter into a larger tank. I really want him to have a friend in there. any suggestions?
cornflakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #6 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflakegirl View Post
I just moved my siamese fighter into a larger tank. I really want him to have a friend in there. any suggestions?
I know that you mean well and just please dont take it personal or offensive, but i dont think you should refer to (bettas) as "fighters", because it's just not very proper. Also i would suggest getting cories, they are very friendly and harmless. and it depends on the betta. Is it a male or female? Can you get pictures on here.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #7 
cornflakegirl

So if he's not a "siamese fighter", what is he then?
cornflakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #8 
kathstew

He is just a betta fish.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #9 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

cornflakegirl,

The fish you have is known as Siamese Fighting Fish; the scientific name is Betta Splendens. On this forum, we mostly call them bettas; I suspect it is because we choose to celebrate the wonderful fish they can be if kept correctly and not the fighting aspect.

You are technically correct, however, to call them any of the above names. Welcome to the forum!

What size tank have you moved your betta into?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Psst.... TNBETTA.... I have the same problem with my bettas pilfering the bottom feeder's food. I too feed them now after 'lights out'... bettas can't see too good in the dark, so that's when the night feeders have their advantage at feeding...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote