Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #1 
Azriel Delacroix

Current Problems

Right then...

I got one of these tanks for my Betta (Bruce Li), who's been spending his days happily in a non-filtered 1 gallon aquarium. So I switched him into this filtered one after getting a bit lazy with the water changes. But I noticed the filter current is really really strong and he's going ballistic in it, I've never seen him that stressed. So I scooped him out and put him into a small container for now, but left the filter running in the tank.

I spent some good money on this tank, and I would hate to return it. Is there any way to baffle the current to make it habitable for my Betta?

Last edited by Azriel Delacroix; 03-08-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Azriel Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #2 
shadowsbiker

You can find a few recent threads going about baffling in the habitats section. Just do a quick search.
shadowsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 
Pekemom

is that a 1 gallon, Azriel?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #4 
Azriel Delacroix

It's a 1 Gallon tank with filter Pekemom. I wanted to opt for the 5 gallon version with filter but it was sold out at the time.

Also I did some research about baffling, but none of the filters used in the example look like mine. So I wouldn't know how to go about it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 
Pekemom

It's so dumb that the manufacturer puts such a strong filter in there. Any fish that would be happy in a one gallon would want a minimum of current anyway.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #6 
Azriel Delacroix

After reading up on the baffle threads in the Habitat section, I thought I might try what one person did and try to make my betta get used to the filter in the ways of turning the filter on and off again until he becomes a stronger swimmer or gets used to it.

That and I am planning on getting a lot more silk plants and maybe some rock decorations to try and break the current a bit.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #7 
Slayers

I have the 2.5 gal of the same tank and what I did was cut a piece of sponge and stick in in the outlet on the filter it still has current but not as bad.

Or you might want to look into the red seas nano filter it is adjustable so you can cut down on the current
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #8 
Xxl3eAsTxX

i stuffed my inlet and outlet with filter fiber, water trickles out..
Xxl3eAsTxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

I have that tank, the 2.5 one..I have two of them. And I know what u mean the current is a bit strong on the filter, but it's also a bit hard to baffle cause the filter is open..all the filter media is exposed..so I dunno if ur like me but I didn't want any yuckies falling in there.

So what seem's to work a bit for me is a sponge media instead of carbon..foam media is healthyer too for the fish..sponge seemed to baffle the flow. I didn't try stuffing the intake with sponge yet like Slayers suggested, but it should help too.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel Delacroix View Post
After reading up on the baffle threads in the Habitat section, I thought I might try what one person did and try to make my betta get used to the filter in the ways of turning the filter on and off again until he becomes a stronger swimmer or gets used to it.

That and I am planning on getting a lot more silk plants and maybe some rock decorations to try and break the current a bit.
I don't think this is a good idea. That will probably stress him out more. I would just keep it off, you don't really need it anyways since you tank is so small.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote