Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

As long as you maintain water quality with regular water changes to help prevent secondary infection he should be fine....

Do you use a filter on his tank-sometime the water current itself can be a cause.....and even back off on some of the water changes to get a good balance...if its filtered-twice weekly 50% and unfiltered 1-50% and 1-100% weekly...do you use any tannins in the water-this can sometimes help and improve nutrition with a wide varied diet fed in small frequent meals and adding in some live foods like mosquito larva or gut loaded livebearer fry or even chopped up red worms...more varied the better to meet nutritional needs to support tissue growth and health....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #12 
TaylorW

Nope, I don't ever use a filter, so there's no current.

I don't use any tannins... That is like IAL, right? I didn't know that could help, maybe I'll try that first... I can get a hold of some frozen food and try feeding that. Don't know where I can get the live foods though :/
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

IAL or dried Oak leaves can help give the scale and fins strength and it can help a tiny bit to naturally soften the water...not much but some.....

Depending on your locations......mosquito larva are easy to culture....just sit a bucket of water outside and let nature happen......net, rinse and fed.....
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #14 
TaylorW

Thanks Oldfishlady, I will definitely try the tannins and better food first before I do anything drastic to my fish water :) Thank you, I just had no clue what else to try!

Oh, umm, is it ok to add a pinch of aquarium salt for the pin holes, or is that not really helping much?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I wouldn't use any salt unless you are going to QT and do a treatment...but thats me.....
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #16 
TaylorW

Ok, thank you! No salt it is then :)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #17 
PeggyJ

Seemed like when I started adding aqu salt to the water regularly the fish did much better. I the only thing is, if you have any snails, they like the hard water
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote