Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #1 
BettasForever

I want to spend about $30-$35....

....on a tank for Comet. But i'm stuck, cause I have no clue what to buy. :3

He's in Comet's 2 gallon for now, and Comet is in the bowl but I really want to upgrade for Comet because he's such a big boy and probably feels cramped in the tank.

I would like all of the following to be included in the budget:

1. Gravel
-I prefer glass stones and will buy as many bags needed for the size of the tank.

2. Silk/Plastic Plants
-Well, I'll buy 2 or so. I like real looking ones, so please make sure they're not PURPLE or ORANGE. (I know some plants are really orange/purple, but I like green still.)

3. Tank
1-2 gallons. If there is a color choice for the hood/base, I prefer blue or black.

The items can be at Petco of Petsmart because I have access to both.\

Thanks for your time (sorry, i'm just totally lost. :3)
-Mia
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Say you want a 2 gallon... you can get a double of the one you have now for $25, plants for $4. You can get a bunch of marbles at a dollar store! :) This is a nice cheap option...
I bought my MiniBow 2.5 for $30. You can still get marbles for it, and if you can't afford plants after, you can use those decorative silk plants used to decorate vases and things... but the minibow comes with a light, filter, tank, food, water conditioner, informational booklet... etc? :) That is a great tank if you want to spend a little more, it's amazing. Best of luck! :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #3 
jschristian44

id check amazon. i got a really nice 2.5 gallon for 20 dollars that came with a little gravel, fish net, and flake food. amazon also has good deals on silk plants, etc. the 10 gallon i have now i got for 20 dollars and it came with a heater, filter, and light and hood. i got it for a steal. but yeah id recommend amazon or craigslist for your fish needs. craigslist you can find tons of stuff super cheap because resale on fish stuff is horrible.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
id check amazon. i got a really nice 2.5 gallon for 20 dollars that came with a little gravel, fish net, and flake food. amazon also has good deals on silk plants, etc. the 10 gallon i have now i got for 20 dollars and it came with a heater, filter, and light and hood. i got it for a steal. but yeah id recommend amazon or craigslist for your fish needs. craigslist you can find tons of stuff super cheap because resale on fish stuff is horrible.
I wouldn't really trust amazon or craiglist unless you boil EVERYTHING. But yeah, you could get a Minibow 2.5 for $30 and transfer your thing from the 2 gal to the new 2.5 until funds go up enough to buy more supplies.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 
maycausedeath

If you don't want anything special you can get a normal 2.5 at petsmart for about 12$. It would leave you with plenty of money left to decorate it and make it look pretty c:
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #6 
bearwithfish

or you could get a 5.5 kit a wally world and divide it for them and then you have room for another fish ;)
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

My 5 gallon tank with hood at wallyworld was about $27.00. It came with filter and light, the light was no good though. haha
you could get a hoodless 10 gallon for 12.99 at petco, this is what I did then I hooked a clamp light up above it for my plants.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #8 
BettasForever

Sounds good. I'm checking out this tommorow at Petco: thoughts? http://www.petco.com/product/102093/...t=OnSiteSearch
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

That is a really nice tank! :) I have that 1. Just pleeeease don't use the filter, that is the same filter that tore Butterfly's fins, and another VT's fins I used to have... Just warning you! But the tank itself is really nice, the light is nice and bright and the drawer is cool... :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #10 
Jupiter

This is what I do on a budget:

Buy a large bin from Walmart...I found one that holds about 4 gallons for $8.

Also buy a Tetra pre-set heater from there, works perfectly well in smaller tanks and is only $11.

Silk plants and terra-cotta pots/other decorations from the dollar store or Michael's, so you only pay a dollar for a plant that you'd pay $11 for at a petstore. Just make sure there's not exposed wire or anything.

I leave tanks like these bare-bottom, but you could always get large riverstones from the dollar store too...

So that's less than $30!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote