Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #1 
Saoirse

New betta, new environment, expected behavior?

Let me know if you're getting tired of my questions :P

So, I have a temporary set up for my new Betta - Chronos, I think we're going with. He's a Crowntail, very handsome man.

Anywho - I think the death of my baby Cloud has made me a little paranoid, and it's been so long since I've gotten a new betta that I'm not sure what to expect with their behavior. I know it's a stressful time for them, and here's what's up:

Tank is at 81- 82 F, like I said, it's a little small, only 1/2 gallon, but I'm getting a new 2-2.5 gal tomorrow. As far as behavior, he's going between a clamped fin lethargy to an eratic, gallop-swimmed twitchiness. At the moment he's resting with his fins a little spread and he devoured 2 pellets and one freeze-dried bloodworm. Which makes me happy.
My paranoia has me worried because this is my second attempt to house a betta without distiller water and my Cloud had that same erratic behavior mixed with the lethargy, and he also ate a meal. He also had severe twitching as if the water had irritated him - Chronos was showing that same twitchy behavior, though it seems to have passed.
I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that these are normal behaviors for a betta that had just been introduced to his new (temporary) home.
I kept him in his cup last night, next to his bowl and floated him for about 20 minutes while the water was slowly warming.
Forgive my paranoia, I just want to make sure these aren't signs that I should get him out of the water and back into his cup until I get something straightened out. I tested his water previously and the levels were acceptable according to the care post sticky.
As always, thank you so much in advance.

Saoirse
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #2 
Saoirse

Update: as I was posting, Chronos has decided to show me more fin, which makes me smile. He's such a good looking guy.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #3 
Pekemom

Congrats on your new boy, Saoirse! He sounds like a heart-breaker!! I'm new to betta-keeping as well, so we'll let the experts answer your question. Welcome to the forum!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #4 
Saoirse

Thanks, Pekemom! I've been browsing this site for info for a long time but finally decided to sign up and join in.

He's certainly a heart-breaker, I'm hoping he's got the Sinatra personality to back up those baby-blue scales! I can't wait to get him into a good tank so I can take a picture of him.

I also love your pictures! Both the avatar and the links in your signature, you have a gorgeous furry/scaly family!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #5 
denaliwind

Welcome! :D

Well... I'm no expert, but I can at least share with you what I've learned through experience and reading posts from experts here! hehe
What is the water source for your tanks? I only asked because you mentioned distilled water and I can say it's no good to use. Spring water or tap water is a better choice and always use a water conditioner. ^^
Second of all, his twitchiness could be lots of different things. It could be do to the fact that he has lots of energy and is in a cramped space, or perhaps he's excited, my bettas get pretty crazy when it's feeding time, darting all over, spazing here and there until the food hits the surface... then they're suddenly calm and patient. XD Twitchy could also mean something's irritating him (water temp, something in the water chemistry that's out of balance or internal parasites), so just keep an eye on his color (concern would be him loosing color, getting pale), appetite, and make sure his poops look normal (no white). How are you keeping his tank warm? A small tank is more sensitive to temperature changes and may fluctuate drastically, causing stress.

Enjoy your new little friend and keep us posted! :D
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #6 
Saoirse

Denali - I had a bad feeling my tap water was beyond repair with a dechlorinator, so I went with bottled spring water. I added the dechlorinator and let the water sit for about 15 min before adding it to the bowl.

As far as the heater, it's meant for small tanks and bowls, betta specific. It only raises the water temp 5 degrees warmer than the ambient room temp, but since it's a 1/2 gal bowl I let it heat up until the thermometer reached 82 and I turned it off - about 3 hours ago - and the tank is still at 82 and sitting on a medium-warm heating pad. I'm watching closely.
His color is far from pale - yay! :) but Cloud never paled before/during his issues before passing. But I'd say Chronos' color has improved, but that may be me being optimistic.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #7 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
Denali - I had a bad feeling my tap water was beyond repair with a dechlorinator, so I went with bottled spring water. I added the dechlorinator and let the water sit for about 15 min before adding it to the bowl.

As far as the heater, it's meant for small tanks and bowls, betta specific. It only raises the water temp 5 degrees warmer than the ambient room temp, but since it's a 1/2 gal bowl I let it heat up until the thermometer reached 82 and I turned it off - about 3 hours ago - and the tank is still at 82 and sitting on a medium-warm heating pad. I'm watching closely.
His color is far from pale - yay! :) but Cloud never paled before/during his issues before passing. But I'd say Chronos' color has improved, but that may be me being optimistic.
Good! I'm sure he's just fine. Does he seem to liven up when he sees you? My bettas get a little spazzy when I approach their tanks, I like to think they're happy to see me... but they probably just want food. =P My little guys are pretty active and when they were in smaller tanks they seemed to twitch a lot, I think they just had a lot of energy and no where to go with it. XD
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #8 
Saoirse

Denali - I think he's fine too. It's been hours and he's still alive, lol. Thad sad, but it was so hard seeing Cloud suffer, I would hate for another betta to do that in my care. I'll keep a close eye, but I'm beyond the hovering stage hahaha

Thanks for all the advice, and for the responses. As always, it's much appreciated and I'll be posting pictures as soon as he's settled in his new home and fully flaring those fins!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #9 
Thunderloon

Don't feed him all at once.

I got a CT male from wally about a month ago and named him fluffy because he runs around the tank like a live pom-pom.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #10 
Abby

hmm id maybe lower the temp jut a little usually its best around 78 i think, and twitching could be internal parasites already mentioned.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote