Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

What to do to keep Kaida safe and my next fish surviving.

What do I do!? Just tell me please! We're gonna do a water change tomorrow for Kaida and clean Kalona's old tank until it sparkles.

We're going to get a new fish eventually...Right now it hurts knowing Kalona might've spent his last day in shock. I feel horrible.

Please guys I need to know what can I do to keep my next betta surviving and how to keep Kaida healthy and happy and away from harm.

I'm never going to cycle a 1.5 gallon tank again! It's a waste of time because he died so quickly! I feel horrible and I'm going to keep a watch on Kaida to make sure he too doesn't perish.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #2 
TaylorW

I am so sorry for your loss! :( Don't blame yourself, the nitrogen cycle is just hard to get going in small tanks, it was just an accident :( I'm sure you gave Kalona a better life than most people would have!

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of cycling can stop by and help you out...
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 
peachesxo

a 1.5 gallon cannot be cycled. how often were you doing water changes? i would recommend getting the conditioner prime.. it's the best one out there.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

I hadn't even done my first water change. He got home just yesterday and died tonight. We're doing an emergancy 50% on Kaida's right now and planning to set up a QT tank.

Thanks for the condolences.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #5 
Alex09

If he died overnight it may not have been your fault... And it definitely wasn't an ammonia (cycling) issue as that doesnt happen in a day unless your water has ammonia straight out the tap or something. Just make sure to add conditioner and acclimate the fish before adding it back to the tank during cleanings.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks...I think he may have been shocked to death by the changes. I don't think I acclimated him correctly and his water was changed at the store an utter 100% change. I didn't even know if he was in a net or something else during it. I think he may have just been shocked....We're going to keep an eye on everything for Kaida and our next betta. I'm not as upset as before because at least I got to say goodbye and because I still have Kaida and my dog Yugi. Kaida's shown all behaviors of being healthy like eating exploring but Kalona....He just...Sat there. He refused to eat anything.

I don't think it was my fault and I felt really horrible when I posted this. I still feel really sad but I know I made his last days the best they could have been. (I'm saying days because it happened an hour ago...After that we jumped up to make sure everything for Kaida was perfectly safe.)
Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I'm sorry for your loss. You were so careful to ask all the right questions before going out and getting your fish, it was definitely undeserved that something like this should have happened.

Ammonia would not accumulate to lethal levels in such a short amount of time unless there was something like 2-5ppm in the tap water they used that somehow didn't get neutralised by the water conditioner.

I never acclimatise my fish (I'm not advocating this method by any means it's just what I do), and I have yet to suffer any losses because of it. I simply drain the water out of the bag into a separate bucket and add my fish to the tank. Even one I thought was very touch-and-go didn't seem to care either way.

For it to happen so quickly, there must have been something wrong with your water or your fish. Could a toxin such as an air freshener spray or perfume etc. have gotten into the tank? That could kill a fish very quickly, and unless the lid is tightly sealed, you don't really know what could end up in your water. Also, if you did have a heater, do you know what temperature it is? What feels warm to us can be much too hot for a fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks...I did my best for him and he wasn't doing anything much of hiding near his heater.
I was so sure he would perk up and do better. I did my best for him but he was just fading away. I almost had a heart attack when my parents suggested since the ammonia level was lower in Kalona's old tank to put Kaida in it...I objected and now we're waiting for the temp to rise back up for Kaida's tank before floating him again.

I think he might've been just too shocked to survive. I'm going to be really careful with Kaida and my next fish.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #9 
denaliwind

I'm really sorry for your loss. :(

Betta fish are incredibly hardy, that doesn't mean treat them poorly, but they can withstand a lot and I can't imagine a water change would do it. There must have been a lot of other things going on with him, who knows how long he was at the pet store. :/

But don't beat yourself up, you certainly exceeded the average betta buyer by doing research and preparing the best way you could.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks.

I'm not going to beat myself up and we plan on getting a new fish around Thursday or Friday. My parents are going to clean Kalona's old tank to prepare for our next fish. (Whom will be a female.)

I'm still a little shooken up but I'm doing better knowing Kaida is okay now. He's safe and sound in his tank blowing bubbles and swimming around. (He's REALLY mad though since we had to destroy his bubble nest.)