Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

My reputation is shocking me XP

I've been making videos and putting them on youtube and I've been getting several comments such as "Nice fish" "Good work!" etc. I recently gave out my cell number on youtube and I've been getting texts and calls all night from people with TONS of questions on breeding and caring for bettas. I just spent an hour on the phone with a guy from New Jersey who asked question after question about breeding and said he wanted me to check out the fish he was going to buy and have me confirm they were good fish. Do I really give out that good of advice? My reputation scares me :P Here I am 14 with a reputation as an awesome breeder (though I don't feel that I am) and a great source of info. It just AMAZES me how many people I've helped.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's great that you've helped so many people! Just be careful. There are people out there with not so good intentions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

I think it's great you're able to help so many people.
I have to agree with dramaqueen, don't be giving out your number willy nilly, it's dangerous... better to talk through emails!
When you're experienced with something you love these things happen. I used to collect dolls and gained worldwide reputation, even had a couple of dolls featured in an Australin doll magazine. It's been 4 years since I stopped collecting and being part of the community and still I get emails about people wanting to buy my dolls on my website... not that it's updated bc I sold a lot of those dolls already but other friends who still collect dont want my site taken down so I just leave it.
So, keep it up! The more people we reach out and get into this "hobby" the better!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

I'm usually don't give out my cell number but I'm pretty good and picking out the creeps. I figure my cell is better since I always have it with me unlike my laptop.

I can't begin to imagine how many bettas I've helped either :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's great! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #6 
bettafish15

Whats your youtube channel? :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #7 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
The very sad part of it is...it is not just be careful giving out your cell phone number...But, your Bettas, as well. After reading some of the shocking...*shudder*...humanity stories.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #8 
Abby

Congrats. maybe you should look at a betta store of your own when you are old enough :)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #9 
GienahClarette

I'm just going to echo everyone else here and say be very, very careful about giving out any information on the internet. Once it's out there, it's out there--regardless of whether or not you delete it later.

I don't want to be a downer and I'm not trying to scare anybody. But, even something as small as a username can lead someone to your place of residence after a few steps. It isn't as hard as a lot of people think it is. For example, that guy who keeps trying to breed his fish? I know his real name and the make and color of his car after three minutes of searching. Would I ever use that information? No. But, it's just food for thought.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GienahClarette View Post
I'm just going to echo everyone else here and say be very, very careful about giving out any information on the internet. Once it's out there, it's out there--regardless of whether or not you delete it later.

I don't want to be a downer and I'm not trying to scare anybody. But, even something as small as a username can lead someone to your place of residence after a few steps. It isn't as hard as a lot of people think it is. For example, that guy who keeps trying to breed his fish? I know his real name and the make and color of his car after three minutes of searching. Would I ever use that information? No. But, it's just food for thought.
Very important points.
There's a girl I've threatened to pay the student loans of who thinks I can't find her. I know when her dad died, which college she got a degree from and what her degree was. That's enough to find her if I every actually have enough money to pay her loans. XD

Though truthfully, cell phone calls are all tracked and full records kept for nine months or so. It is probably safer than internet communications simply because the information is monitored.

I tracked down one non-believer by her dog's name, the mention of waffle house and a nine month window. From there you can use street-view on family picture backgrounds and some technical knowledge and track down actual addresses.

Bet only one or two of you knew that accredited degrees (bachelor, master, doctorate) are public information which include SSN, mailing address at time, full name and a link to other info.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 03-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote