Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #11 
cjayBetta

Sounds good.... GOOD LUCK! :)
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

FROZEN worms are fine. FREEZE DRIED are not, cjay.

Your frog is probably nomming his fins in that tank. That is not enough space for them!

Your water changes are too infrequent. You should be doing more than 40% once a week, especially since your tank is beyond MAXED OUT in capacity. You need to either get at least a 5 gallon to have them both, but preffereably a 10 gallon.

The salt cant just be salt. Its NEEDS to be aquarium salt, which isnt the same.
1tsp/gallon. Every new dose of you 2.5 tsps needs a water change.

You need to do a full change every day with that tank until you get a new one or get rid of the frog.

Your betta will be fine when you get a bigger tank/remove the tank mate/ make better changes.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #13 
cjayBetta

Sorry, must have read that wrong. I thought she said freeze dried. My mistake.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

Its okay. Sorry for the caps, Im on my phone and that underline button jsut hates me today. fffffffffffffffffffffffffragh!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #15 
TaraJets

:/

I'm not sure what to do. I have an empty 10g but it's an iso tank for my hermit crabs that I can't touch... I can't just get rid of my frog either. My tank's been running for a couple months with that setup and water change schedule without a problem other than the betta's fin. No one has told me that this is too small before. I guess I'll change 40% twice a week as a compromise? idk I'm sorry. I feel like a terrible pet owner...

I would never trust any of my friends to take them either. My friend kept her betta in a MAYBE 1/4 gallon "bowl" (more like a cup, he commited fishy suicide :( ). My other friend kept a betta and 2 african dwarf frogs in a 1 gallon bowl. I tried to tell them they need heaters and bigger tanks; their responses went along the lines of "I already spent all my allowance on this. I'm not spending anymore for a fish that was $5, besides they don't *need* it." It makes me really mad because her frogs died promptly after she got them.

So far, I've spent $100 on this setup... I truly can't spend anymore and don't have the room for a bigger tank.
TaraJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

I'd invest in a nice rubbermaid tupperware container for one of them, as many gallons as they need, and shove another heater in there until you can figure something out..

Youre not a bad owner, just misinformed.

The 40% x2 as a compromise isnt enough, sorry. Its like 40% every other day minimum.

I suggest going out and getting an ammonia test kit (theyre a worthy investment, and arent too much) with *liquid testors (strips are not accurate) to see the ammonia levels in your tank.

You could monitor it and make a custom shedual for changes this way- monitor once or twice each day, and when it gets above .25-.5ppm (this is a bit too high, imo..), there needs to be about a 30-50% change, then monitor again, making sure each time you do a change when it gets to that level. The lower, the better.
.5ppm long term is not good for your fish, though if it happens occasionally and is not allowed to get that high often, its alright. 1pmm+ will kill your fish or hurt them badly.

Once you do that for like two weeks, youll become familiar with a regimine suited for your tank.

Invest a bit in stemmed fully aquatic plants, too. They eat ammonia and will allow for a healthier, more comfy environment! (actually, all live plants will, but the stemmed are ammonia nomming machines!)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #17 
TaraJets

I actually already have some kind of broad leaf "sword" plant or something. I named it Henrietta XD (I'm weird). I'm glad I found this website. My betta may have died w/out this.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #18 
PewPewPew

That's good to hear. There are lots of sword types, theyre nice.

If you can get your hands on it, I recommend anarchis- a stemmed plant that reproduces like rabbits and sucks up ammonia like mad! I have it and my boys rest in it. Easy to care for- I daresay probably easier than the sword! It just floats around like derp derp, ammonia derp.

Good luck to you- remember, water changes!!!!! <3
Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #19 
TaraJets

quick update

Herbie (my betta fish) is doing better now. He started to blow some thick bubble nests and is begging for food when I walk by the tank now. I fasted him for a few days and now he eats the pellets! I'm really glad because all along I knew he wasn't getting good nutrition with the bloodworms but he wouldn't touch anything else... I've also started to change the water like PewPewPew said to do. I think Herbie's on the road to recovery!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #20 
cjayBetta

Great to hear!

Tags
fin, fin rot, sick betta, tail biting