Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #1 
BettaFriend15

Exclamation Swim bladder is back!!!!!

Ok so i posted before that my betta recovered today she lost her balance again and she seems worse then before but a weird thing was when she i think she farted (do fish fart?) and well when i saw bubbles come from her rear she got her balance back miraculously but i just went to say goodnight (crazy fish person) to my little ones and she was at it again trying to swim down and i read on i site that there is no cure and affected fish need to be killed humanely i really don't want it to come to that she's such a nice fish and always follows me around the tank and has never picked a fight since i put her in with her tank mate she's perfect she's so mellow i love her so much and i dont want her to die what can i do? i'm going to the aquarium/petshop this weekend what should i pick up? i really don't care how much the treatment costs i just want to save my little one i'm so worried please help!?
BettaFriend15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...what treatment did you use the last time and how long ago was it...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, other livestock in the tank with her?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #3 
BettaFriend15

i just finnished treatment yesterday which was isolation and cooked shelled peas just really small bits. I change about 30-50 percent of the water every week sometimes twice a week, i have baby tears one anubias and Alternanthera reineckii and i'm about to (after Cobalt's better) get some java moss and some type of grass i'm also due to upgrade in a few months. i have a marine master tank (21 litres) and it came with a standard filter yeah so that's it and i'm about to change my gravel (is this unhealthy?) well yeah and i have no idea what's wrong with her she's a new fish and i think the stress triggered it she is living with one other female betta (who she gets along with) and 5 guppies i really need help and is salt bad to put in the tank i don't want to poison my fish but i don't want her to die either so yeah that's my tank so what am i doing wrong? the guppies are moving to another tank btw so what's wrong? thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The tank is a little over 5gals...correct...what about water temp and additives?

Good that you plan to move the guppies...I would also move the other Betta....5gal should only house 1 Betta and some shrimp and/or snails...good that you have live plants.....

For the female with the buoyancy issues I would QT her in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp if 76-77F and start Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 2 days and on day 3-increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes for 7 more days-hold food for the first 2 days and then on day 3 offer half of normal feeding twice daily-I would also cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to keep the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #5 
BettaFriend15

Thank you, one question though what is Epsom salt? do i get it at my LFS? how do i use a heater (i'm 14 btw i'm still learning) i was thinking of buying this 20 dollar heater for bettas i saw at my local aquarium but it's all i can afford i don't want to be cheap and get a possible death threat for my fish so is it hard to keep the temperature balanced? i don't know what to do you've been so helpful but i still have tons of questions my betta is also bloated if that means anything (i think it does) anyway i'll pick up those supplies this weekend do you think my fish can hold out untill then? but i'll do that and see what happens thanks so much
Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The sooner you start treatment the better.....I would go ahead and get her in a small QT container and start the 100% daily water changes with fresh dechlorinated water of like temp.

QT-did she come in one of those little cups-if so-these work great for a temporary QT container for treatments.

Its important that the water temp be within a couple of degrees between the new and old water with the water changes so you don't cause temp shock and always use dechlorinater with any new water added to the fish/tank.

The bloat-can you tell if her scales are sticking up or is it just her tummy

Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) can be found at most stores that have a pharmacy department-you usually will not find it at a pet shop

For a 5gal tank I would look for a 50w adjustable heater and you will also need a thermometer.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #7 
demonr6

Epsom Salt you can probably find at your local grocery store in the beauty/health care section else if you have a chain drugstore near you, you can find it there.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta swim bladder